1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

First International XMRV conference

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Kati, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Kati

Kati Patient in training

2. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Someone's going to have to give me some solid evidence before I get involved in this. And cut out the personal attacks on Judderwocky, who is making some good points about the way science works.

I am not saying anyone here is wrong -- just that the evidence, so far, doesn't exist that this situation requires a major uproar. If that evidence exists, let's see it. If Dr Mitkowvitz and the WPI are upset, let them say so. Surely they are not expecting us to act on rumor and "trust me".

Otherwise, we are going to look insane and hysterical. It's not fair, but many people have that view of us and we are stuck in the position of proving them wrong. We need to avoid even the appearance of hysteria. We know we're perfectly sane and reasonable people, but the research world doesn't, sadly. If "they" are really out to get us, we're playing right into their hands with this campaign.

3. Kati

Kati Patient in training

You are the one out of touch. Please go back to the begining. Read Osler's Web, read about the history of CDC and how they named CFS which is an insulting name for a severe and disabling disease. Now go on and check out the CDC website that they just revamp.Go on and check out Abbott and what is the reason they are sponsoring this workshop, instead of Glaxo-smith- Kline?

I have done my research. I have exchanged e-mails with key people. I can't share them here. If you want to do nothing, honest it might be best on this topic. Many others feel like its something we need to

4. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Sickofcfs

Have you seen what Judderwocky said about me?

5. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

Has Mikovits been black-listed because she spoke at that Autism conference?

Maybe she cannot attend because she's working on something big.

6. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

I agree 100% with Sickofcfs, particularly about the attacks on judderwocky.

Sam

ETA @V99 it seemed like judderwocky was being heavily criticised by a number of members for expressing his point of view. I'm sorry if you felt you were under attack also.

7. V99

V99 *****

UK
    but he can attack others?

8. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Mikovits will be there, she is being stopped from speaking.

9. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    I read it and did not see a personal attack. I saw him criticize ideas and actions, but not making personal attacks. I will go and read it again to check my memory, though.

10. V99

V99 *****

UK
    So he can call people insane, and that's ok with you?

11. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    If that is true, we need some evidence. If Dr Mikovits or the WPI thinks we should be upset about this, they need to say so. We can't act on rumor.

12. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    If you could point me to a specific post, I'd be happy to go straight there and read it. I'm working my way through. So far I've seen him call ideas insane, but not you. I've had some pretty insane ideas in my time, but I assure you I'm not insane. (Give me some time and I can even prove it. *grin*)

13. muffin

muffin Senior Member

USA!
    Wasted energy fighting eachother on this forum instead of fighting the real enemies. And the personal attacks are just not acceptable. Please stop the infighting, we have bigger enemies to battle.

14. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Contact them and ask, please. Politics wont allow this to be dealt with the way we would like it to. This is the truth. Remember this is not Ruscetti's fault, it is nothing to do with him.

15. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

Good point.

Could be his first and last conference. Alter should be at the next one!

16. V99

V99 *****

UK
    post 57

There is no difference in saying you or your case is insane, it is still inappropriate.

biophile, contact the WPI and ask.

17. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    100% agreement from me on this

18. V99

V99 *****

UK
    sickofcfs, I have not been involved in a fight, I am trying to make everyone understand that the organising committee are stopping Mikovits from presenting.

19. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Nope, there's a HUGE difference between saying your case is insane and that you are insane. That said, I haven't found a place in this thread where you have made a personal attack on anyone, either. :D

20. V99

V99 *****

UK
    true:D

See more popular forum discussions.