The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

First international workshop on HERVs & disease 2015

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Oct 19, 2015.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

http://www.mobilednajournal.com/content/6/1/20

Asa and Bob like this.
  2. Research 1st

Research 1st Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.

HERV's are detected in ME gut tissue with deep sequencing. These aren't unique to ME and found in other autoimmune diseases. A positive aspect to this, is what is 'found' isn't new to science (being present in other autoimmune diseases) and thus won't be disputed to the level as if an exogenous retrovirus was detected.

Yet we have an odd situation in terms of presenting the evidence of putative pathogens then associated to autoimmunity and this potential breakthrough helping the patients gain legitimacy.

Currently, we're messing around with finding autoimmunity (effect of disease) in ME patients but not presenting the pathogen (enabler of disease). Effect is OK, cause is what you want. A proposed cause, would of course be highly controversial, and if proven, a finding of monumental proportions ,perhaps as we're talking congenital Lyme (ultra controversial) in slow onset adolescent ME or autoimmune Lyme (controversial as this would 'prove' Chronic Lyme isn't Lyme but an autoimmune disease from contact with Borrelia or it's co-infections/viruses.

As patient's we all waiting in limbo. The pathogen that apparently causes this needs years worth of further research, so they won't publish on the HERV findings until they're totally certain of the pathogen's presence, presumably because a secondary effect of these HERV's is the possible association with dementia. That will again, take years worth of more research and from multiple groups in various countries.

The people on our side know the proverbial will hit the fan by the 'enemy' rolling out the Fukuda and F48.0 psych patients when any 'cause' of ME is proposed and they know a 'no association with pathogen X' will be the result, from this when you go anywhere near 'CFS' or 'ME', not using a biomarker. in a highly heterogenous group of symptom based patients - aka CFS/ME.

Autoimmunity, gives you a biomarker.

So the people on our side must prove if you have the autoimmune disease, then you must have the pathogen, before they can publish. That then proves causation if 100% of the patients with the autoimmunity always are infected, and never, without.

That's the benefit of us having to sit here for years more and years and years waiting and waiting and waiting because the government science agencies are funding CBT GET and mind-body, not pathogen studies.

It looks logical that HERV's is where it is in ME, but as you've noticed, no studies are funded, because they won't go anywhere near this idea because of who caused it. Themselves.

Asa likes this.
  3. Asa

Asa Senior Member

Because I was curious: According to the website below, and for the UK at least, over 75% of CBT therapists and over 75% of physiotherapists are women. And these job sectors are forcasted to grow, grow, grow...

http://web.archive.org/web/20151020...es/Pages/Cognitive-behavioural-therapist.aspx

http://web.archive.org/web/20151020...anning/jobprofiles/Pages/physiotherapist.aspx

See more popular forum discussions.