• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

first ever test for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Found this on another forum. If this turns out to be correct , my view is that this can be applied to many other viruses (esp. the herpes family) and it may be just a bit of time and work. http://www.naturalhealthadvisory.com/daily/fatigue-lack-of-energy/first-ever-test-for-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-symptoms-is-close/

Great find, Clive - this is very interesting.

I recommend reading the whole thing but here's an excerpt:

Unusual “partial reactivation” of virus causes chronic fatigue syndrome symptoms in some
However, there seems to be something different about the latent Epstein-Barr virus reactivation in some patients with CFS. The virologists had previously identified a group of patients with classic chronic fatigue syndrome symptoms that responded very well to treatment with antiviral medication. By comparing these patients to CFS patients who didn’t respond to antiviral medication, the researchers found that the CFS patients who had responded to the antiviral treatment were experiencing an unusual “partial reactivation” of the Epstein-Barr virus.
In this group of CFS patients, a latent Epstein-Barr virus had begun to reactivate, but the newly awakened virus never reached its full potential to take over its host cells. Instead, the group of fatigued patients experienced a partial reactivation that stuck around for an abnormally long time. This partial reactivation was strong enough to trigger the generation at least two viral proteins, called DNA polymerase and dUTPase. The patients produced antibodies specifically designed to identify and neutralize those proteins. Control blood samples from healthy people showed no such antibodies.
Virus triggers inflammation and immune system “chaos” leading to CFS symptoms
Even though the CFS patients with these antibodies don’t show evidence of complete, active, Epstein-Barr re-infections (they tested negative for the most commonly measured active antibodies required to fight the Epstein-Barr virus,) the researchers believe these viral proteins are able to trigger inflammation and chaos within the immune system that leads to debilitating fatigue and other chronic fatigue syndrome symptoms. All patients in whom the antibodies linked to latent Epstein-Barr virus reactivation were detected had experienced classic CFS symptoms that resolved with long-term antiviral treatment.
New panel would identify subgroup of CFS patients with specific Epstein-Barr antibodies
Numerous types of blood tests are available to determine past or present viral infections, but until now none have been found to be useful in helping determine whether someone has CFS or not. In other words, until now no type of virus-related marker in the blood has been found that separates out those with CFS from those without. With their discovery, the investigative team envisions the development of a new antibody panel which could be used to identify the subgroup of CFS patients with elevated levels of these specific antibodies against DNA polymerase and dUTPase. As of now, antibodies to these viral proteins are not part of any current standard panel for past or present Epstein-Barr infections.
Some of the researchers involved the study are part owners of a company that has U.S. patents and pending patents for diagnosis and treatment of CFS based on their discovery of these non-standard antibodies. While this may be a conflict of interest, it is also a new direction which might offer hope to at least some CFS patients.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Yes good find Clive, very interesting stuff, especially for those of us with a sudden onset illness, also it doesn't bother me that the researchers have a financial interest, I think that this will eventually be the area where we will get diagnosis and treatment from, government bodies, NHS etc are not interested in the nitty gritty of an illness, just the bottom line, how much will it cost the state? That is how/why Wessley and co have such a hold, CBT and GET cost 'nowt' easy to sell those to a cost conscious system. Good luck to anyone researching this condition, just one thing please hurry up...................

Firestormm

Found this on another forum. If this turns out to be correct , my view is that this can be applied to many other viruses (esp. the herpes family) and it may be just a bit of time and work. http://www.naturalhealthadvisory.com/daily/fatigue-lack-of-energy/first-ever-test-for-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-symptoms-is-close/

Cheers Clive. Paper and discussion here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nic-fatigue-syndrome-cases.20431/#post-311316

And this link at the bottom of your article provides a further summary: http://www.sciencecodex.com/discove...or_some_chronic_fatigue_syndrome_cases-102130

SOC

Lerner has been claiming "partial reactivation" of herpesvirus infections as the cause of CFS for many years. What a story it will be if he turns out to be exactly correct.

roxie60

Anyone know of progress? Do they need volunteers to test blood, I'll volunteer....I had EBV in the past still have titer of 1:160 but supposedly no current activation. Is there contact info for this study somewhere, are they looking for test subjects? I would like to help move this forward to a conclusion.