1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

First Direct Evidence of Neuroinflammation - 'Encephalitis' - in ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Apr 28, 2014.

1. SDSue

SDSue Florida

Florida
    @Aerose91 How silly of me to get a wee bit hopeful. After all, you did say "psychiatrist". :lol:
  2. osisposis

osisposis

Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2013 Jul-Sep;26(3):597-600.
    Impact of capsaicin on mast cell inflammation.
    Frydas S1, Varvara G, Murmura G, Saggini A, Caraffa A, Antinolfi P, Tete' S, Tripodi D, Conti F, Cianchetti E, Toniato E, Rosati M, Speranza L, Pantalone A, Saggini R, Di Tommaso LM, Theoharides TC, Conti P, Pandolfi F.
    Author information
    Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24067456
  3. osisposis

osisposis

4. Leopardtail

Leopardtail Senior Member

England
    Half true?

Simon, do you mean sickness behaviour as in promoting rest, or sickness behaviour as in immune response here?

The fever response (according to my understanding) tends to kick in after several days of infection and failure of the immune system to deal with the problem. As you indicate microbes are more temperature sensitive than our cells and the immune response uses fever to weaken them. It is because it may indicate a more severe infection that medics are concerned by it.

The info re reptilian response to infection was in interesting tit bit, may I ask where you picked that up?

Leo
  5. Leopardtail

England
    More importantly how this compares with depression in order to put the psychiatric dogma to sleep permanently..
  6. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    My own understanding is that fever is actually one of the early responses to infection - part of the innate immune system.

This page appears to support this, e.g. this bit:

7. Leopardtail

England
    The page is slightly misleading (re fever at least). In so far as we are born with innate immunity it obviously comes first in two respects. Aspects of it also kick in a little quicker than the th1 system. What's described as innate immunity includes most b-cell activity, natural killer cells etc as well as fever.
    Fever actually commences after NK cells, T-cells etc and is primarily an endocrine response to infection. We don't fever ever time we get a cold due to it being the bodies 'emergency response'.

It was the length of time about which I had my doubts.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  8. osisposis

osisposis

9. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

"Learned responses" that's a great way to put it. I have been saying I operate solely on logic. I would feel horrible for a child that has to go through this because they haven't had a chance to learn the correct behaviors and responses to things.

I never get periods of OK brain function though. Never fluctuates, ever, not even 1%
  10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    By OK brain capacity I mean times when I can think at 30% or more of normal capacity, rather than times when I am at 1%.

See more popular forum discussions.