1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fire Retardant Dangers FINALLY Hit the Mainstream

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by leela, Nov 24, 2013.

1. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Toxic Hot Seat (and mattress, and textiles, and....)

Toxic Hot Seat, which airs Monday, Nov. 25 on HBO, is a stark reminder of the dangerous chemical flame retardants embedded in polyurethane foam-based home furnishings (not to mention baby strollers and car seats) that do a better job at causing birth defects and cancers than protecting us from fires. Although the documentary might not cover much new ground for those who’ve been following this matter closely, it’s a handy summary of the issues that humanizes the story via on-camera interviews with key players. And it will certainly make you rethink your next big furniture purchase.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/...ntary_on_the_dangerous_chemicals_in_foam.html

2. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    I have no evidence to hand, but I would also avoid anything which claims to be "impregnated with anti-bacterial" anything.

I have also studiously avoided becoming impregnated myself - so I don't need to fret about anything which might cause birth defects!:thumbsup:

3. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    Waterproofing chemicals are also scary :eek: (Those sprays/liquids you buy to make something waterproof, or items you buy with the waterproofing already applied. If it's already applied, at least it had time to dry, but I am wary.)

As well as most insect repellents, as they usually contain DEET. I don't believe parents should let their kids within 30 feet of the stuff, and I wouldn't use it as an adult either. Unfortunately my parents were clueless so I was exposed to it, and I did not know how scary the chemical was until recently.

And, many other commonly used weed killers or pest chemicals.

peggy-sue likes this.
  4. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Organophosphates, used in many pesticides, are about the nastiest chemicals in existence, only "good" thing about them is they mostly degrade, unlike Uranium in UHF6 and DU
    Organophosphates are better known as "SARIN" and "VX" nerve gasses
    Only difference between nerve gas and pesticide versions is the pesticides are designed to be more toxic to arthropods insects etc) than to mammals, still, if you sprayed a town with them you'd kill a lot of folk (depends, dozens to hundred or more) and sicken vastly more

DEET is not an organophosphate, but it does the same kind of damage, blocks the same essential chemical in nerves and thus, a combination of both types WILL have more pronounced effect

http://news.nationalgeographic.co.u...ophosphates-pesticides-indian-food-poisoning/

maryb and MeSci like this.
  5. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    This has been one of my main big beefs, along with the fact that, for those chemicals that *are* tested by the EPA
    (and not all are) safety standards of ppm are for each individual chemical--not the giant, cumulative, multi-toxic soup we are exposed to from every angle of modern life, every day, year after ever-more-toxic year.

SilverbladeTE likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.