• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FIR-sauna, niacin, glutathione, and methylation

Hello,
i am doing FIR-Sauna in the evenings for 20 minutes. As Sherry Rogers recommends in her book ("detoxify or die") I am taking higher dose niacin before sauna to open the fatty cells to mobilize toxins, and afterwards s-acetyl-glutathione (with a little alpha lipoic acid and B2 for recycling) to bind the mobilized toxins left in the body. I have a good feeling with that. It really seems to work, and is a method to save the liver by sweating and avoid the need of good intestines so that no reabsorbing of toxins into the body might happen. It seems to me with the glutathion something goes out via the kidneys as I could feel them in the beginning about an hour after sauna - when the heart-beat went up as well).

I am also doing the methylation protocol since a few weeks, starting rather low dose (B12 I have to take more, because glutathione pulls it out of the body). But niacin is the remedy to stop overmethylation as well - I don't really know how that exactly works. My question now is - if I take the methyl-donors in the morning, and niacin for sauna-detoxing in the evening, would that disturb the work of the methylation protocol too much??

Holiday-greetings to all :)
Karin

Probably nobody around here who tried this combination. No wonder, I am getting the inpression this combination of strategies is too much altogether. My liver/gallbladder has been giving a bad feeling since days and I guess it's because too much mobilisation of toxins. So at least I will leave out the niacin before FIR-Sauna.

Also I am experiencing that I am reacting to B12, and because of that am wondering if my symptoms (that are brain-symptoms including lyme, and not CFS) have to do with a long-term deficiency of B12 (though lab tests have not shown that so far - but it's likely because of vegetarianism with diary-sensitivity, and lots of sports over many years).
In that case it's probably not good to take glutathione at the same time, because it pulls out the B12 again. So I decided to go into that mega-thread about B12 first and have a try to build up to the amount of daily 4x 2000mcg Jarrows MethylB12 lozenges first. I am only taking 200mcg MethylFolat right now, and thought that I should progress slowly because of mutations on both MTHFR-genes. But I don't know if it harms when taking too much B12 in relation to the folat, since Freddd recommends 800mcg methyl-folate !?
Karin

helen1

How much niacin are you taking? It does act as a methyl sponge, so not a good idea to take much if you're trying to encourage methylation.

Also taking glutathione will raise levels for a short while then they will fall to a level below the original level due to a negative feedback loop. So I wouldn't take that either as you definitely need good glutathione levels to detox long term.

ALA is controversial. I see you say you're taking a small amount - how much? But still, if there's a possibility that you have mercury in your body, it would not be a good idea to take it unless you're on a strict chelation plan, as it binds with mercury for short periods of time, then releases it. Do you or did you have amalgam fillings, were they removed conventionally, have you ever eaten a lot of tuna, played with mercury as a kid, etc? If so, I wouldn't take ALA as you will likely be stirring up mercury only to be redeposited which could be making you feel ill.

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news; wishing you the best.

Hi Helen, I was taking 300mg niacin, but Sherry Rogers says to build up to maybe even 5000. I am wondering how long that niacin is active in the body, and if that input would disturb the methylation when taking methyl-donors twice a day.

I took 300-600mg s-acethyl-glutathione at once with 100mg alpha lipoic acid and other supps. Ohlenschläger in Germany had developed that stable form of glutathione more than a decade ago and written a book about it. The therapy recommended uses 1200mg S-A-glutathione a day together with high doses methyl-B12 and other stuff, and it's proofed that that rises intracellular glutathione in the long run!

Mercury is a difficult thing to say something about in my case. I had 20 fillings, but they have been out since over 20years; three more were taken out 3 years ago; no other sources. DMPS/DMSA-tests have not shown mercury, only lead; so it's proofed it's not in the connecting tissue. only biophysical testing tells me it's in the brain and cells.