Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fink: "Physical symptom attributions: a defining characteristic of somatoform disorders?" [No]

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Esther12, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Only seen the abstract, but there's still the odd sneering reference to this sort of thing from doctors/journalists, so thought it may be of interest.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25677210

Looks like it's based on data from this RCT on 're-attribution' for FSS: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...reatment-of-functional-somatic-symptoms.5445/

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Simon and Cheshire like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Another thing not supported by the current study is the very existence of somatoform disorders. I am still waiting for a paper that proves they even exist.

Debbie23, rosamary, mango and 8 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Or any other study.

I wonder if that nice Finky-poos is going to let Karina go now, and even, you know, apologise?

What a farce.

:mad:

rosamary, Valentijn and Esther12 like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

OT: The other paper uses the FSS terminology. Just from this abstract it looks like he's using them interchangeably, but it's odd that he's gone back to somatoform from FSS a few years ago. (I also have a memory of reading a paper in the last few days that had somatoform as a sub-group of FSS, and now can't remember what that was. Maybe I did find the full paper for this? I've confused myself and don't think it's worth checking up on.)

5. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    I read the Abstract 3 times and I still don't get it. Seems a colossal waste of monies that could be better spent explaining "unexplained medical symptoms".

"Somatoform" needs to die of starvation. :woot:

SOC likes this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Isn't this a tautology, I mean if you believe it is a 'physical' disease, then it isn't somatoform? So patients share the beliefs of the psychiatrists because no one knows any better...

Valentijn likes this.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Its the island of Mauritius, circa 1650, and the dodos are running around pretending all is fine. Trouble is every so often yet another boatload of hungry sailors lands. Somatoform disorders will go the way of the dodo, but we don't know when. Meanwhile the dodo is convinced everything is fine. They aren't being served up for dinner today, so it will never happen.

SDSue likes this.
  8. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    @alex3619
    Go the way of the dodo, you say?

Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 8.59.15 AM.png

Kyla, Valentijn and alex3619 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.