1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

(FINE Trial) Cost-effectiveness of supported self-management for CFS/ME patients in primary care

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2296/14/12/abstract
    Free: (Provisional) full text: http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2296-14-12.pdf
    *I've given each sentence its own paragraph

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

A reminder what pragmatic rehabilitation is:
    One can read the initial presentation to patients in this thread:

and the manual here:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/fine-trial-pragmatic-rehabilitation-manual.21415/

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Minor:
    I think "myalgic encephalitis" is incorrect - should be "encephalomyelitis".

-------
    Table 2 is interesting:
    "Cost of health care services and non-NHS expenditures related to CFS/ME at each follow up, by treatment group (mean, sd)*"

PR does well in the lost earnings category in the first 20 weeks:
    Mean (SD): PR: 2601 (6460); Supportive listening: 4661 (15215); Treatment as usual: 3450 (7459).

However, PR does really bad over weeks 44 to 70 in follow-up period
    Mean (SD): PR: 5562 (8776); Supportive listening: 3494 (8509); Treatment as usual: 3321 (5285).

They don't make any comment on how bad PR did.

4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks for posting this, Dolphin. I must say I'm relieved to be spared the prospect of having some NHS-brainwashed nurse who has been profoundly and deliberately misinformed about ME 'supportively listen' to me or attempt to 'pragmatically rehabilitate' me.

Small mercies. :D

ukxmrv likes this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Yes, although the form of CBT or GET generally offered by the NHS isn't a million miles away from pragmatic rehabilitation (a previous trial, Powell et al. 2001 has been included in systematic reviews for these) and CBT can be given by nurses.

Sasha likes this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

They just focused on NHS healthcare costs, which seems to be the main one in NICE calculations.

The PACE Trial paper looked at healthcare costs but also separately did calculations for societal costs.

Explanation of how the figures are used:

----
    They didn't compare the different methods directly with PACE: they first submitted the paper on August 16, 2012 while the McCrone PACE Trial paper was published on August 1, 2012 so perhaps this is excusable:

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

There was a difference depending on whether they tried to impute missing values.
    When they imputed missing values (main analysis), Treatment as usual had slightly better QALYs

However, if do a separate analysis when don't impute missing values:

The underlined part means the difference was not statistically significant.

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

If somebody had the time, I think it'd be good if one or more people responded to this with a comment.
    Basically, I think lots of patients would prefer other options to this one and also that their GPs weren't educated that this was a good approach.

9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

There is some data in the Appendix people could easily miss:

There is an Appendix file at: http://www.biomedcentral.com/imedia/9227522608966898/supp1.docx

The first eight pages of it look like they would not be of interest to the average patient - I haven't read them but they appear to be about how to deal with missing data.
    However, after that, the data is much more basic and comprehensible.

We had some information on those topics from Table 2 in the main paper.

However,
    and

contain items "Time off work (days)" and "Leisure time lost (hours)".
    However, unfortunately they don't also include mean figures for these which would have made them more interesting I think.

contains the exact EQ5D scores (so one doesn't have to estimate them from the figure)

The appendix also has this little discussion:

£3221 doesn't match £3321 in the main table 2.

Those are my comments for the moment.

10. Sean

Sean Senior Member

If no current treatment option is satisfactory and acceptable, then why single out 'treatment as usual' in primary care?

It should be:

'However, dissatisfaction with current treatment options means simply continuing on with any of these options is unlikely to be acceptable to patients and practitioners.'

See more popular forum discussions.