• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Finding benefit in stressful uncertain circumstances (McInnis et al., 2015)

Dolphin

Reports of negative interpersonal impacts were similar (30.0%) among women with CFS/fibromyalgia compared to women with other chronic conditions (34.3%), χ2 (1) = 0.36, ns. These negative changes took on many forms for both groups, including women feeling as though they were unable to care for their family in the way they wished or that their relationships had suffered as a result of their illness. Some women in the CFS/fibromyalgia condition expressed a lack of understanding from individuals within their network, which may reflect some of the stigmatizing aspects of living with an illness that is often misunderstood (e.g., “Supports for people with Fibro are very poor. People don’t sympathize with what they cannot see”- CFS & Fibromyalgia).

Dolphin

Interestingly, women with other chronic conditions were more likely to report a positive impact on their interpersonal relationships (31.4%) compared to women with CFS/fibromyalgia (10.0%), χ2 (1) = 6.14, p <.05.

Dolphin

Another potential limitation concerns the cross-sectional nature of the study. For instance, it is not certain whether increased social support leads to lower feelings of stigmatization or whether those who are less stigmatized have a greater sense of social support. It is also possible that the levels of stigma observed in the current study may reflect an underestimation of what is actually representative of this population as a whole. In this regard, women were primarily recruited from support groups and as such may have already overcome some of the stigma associated with disclosing their illness in an effort to seek-help.

JaimeS

Chronic illness definitely isn't worth it, and I have no time for the concept of secondary gain. However this idea is a bit different. It isn't a social gain from being ill, it's a learning through experience. The wisdom gained from really challenging circumstances.

I can't agree more.

I took the test, BTW, and scored the highest possible on 'personal strength'. I apparently am now of the opinion that I kick a$$. :lol::lol: 'New possibilities' are also high (I had to stop working, and when I resumed, I had a completely different career path) -- then relating to others, then appreciation of life. I had zero spiritual change because I am not a spiritual person. Actually, I'm not sure how I feel about that being a metric. From the perspective of an atheist, how is this growth?

I have sometimes scribbled in the margins of the CFS/ SF36 questionnaires because they assume only depression as an outcome, it is skewed to pick up depression. You enjoy things less, or it has no affect.

On Lenny Jason's survey I wrote extensively about how important it is to consider growth and empowerment for patients.

We are all so sick that there doesn't always feel like there is a 'place' to say what this illness has taught us. Frankly, I think when I was very sick, such a conversation would have made me feel more miserable. "Do I have to look for the silver lining on this poop pile right now?" :p

But now I'm ready to discuss. Separate thread in patients-only, mebbe.

-J