• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Finally! Nunez et al (2011) CBT/GET studied in Fukuda-CFS [outcome as expected]

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Back to Nunez, the CBT was group therapy.

In the review by Price et al., therapy was individual in ten studies and in groups in five [15]. Likewise, the meta-analysis by Malouff et al., included only two studies based on group CBT therapy [3]. However, some authors state that equivalence between individual and group treatment is commonly found in psychotherapy research [19]

Overall strategy of study:

We hypothesized that a relatively intensive course of multidisciplinary treatment using group therapy could improve outcomes in CFS patients.

Therefore, the aim of this study was to compare the HRQL of CFS patients receiving group CBT plus GET and conventional pharmacological treatment with that of patients receiving usual treatment with exercise counselling and conventional pharmacological treatment at 12 months of follow-up.

Study design

We carried out a prospective, randomized controlled trial with a follow-up of 12 months.

Nice follow-up.

ixchelkali

Through the Looking Glass, darkly

This is one of those studies that gives me the feeling that ME/CFS patients have slipped through some scientific looking-glass, like Alice. First they conclude that GET, instead of improving outcomes, makes physical functioning and pain worse. Then they say "The possible benefits of GET as part of multidisciplinary treatment for CFS should be assessed on an individual patient basis." !!! Why don't they say "Based on our findings that GET makes patients worse, we don't recommend it."?

Plus, there's the question of any study of ME/CFS which lists among its exclusion criteria "Patients with physical diseases that could cause fatigue." Ahem?

And by the way, what the heck is "sensorial focalization," anyway? I Googled it, and all I found other than this study was one case study of a women with sexual dysfunction due to sex aversion caused by childhood sex abuse (and I didn't understand what it meant there, either).

Dolphin

And by the way, what the heck is "sensorial focalization," anyway? I Googled it, and all I found other than this study was one case study of a women with sexual dysfunction due to sex aversion caused by childhood sex abuse (and I didn't understand what it meant there, either).

Yes, I don't have a clue either.
It is a pity they didn't have a waiting list control group or something like that as it is an odd control group.

At least with Table 2, the first p-value column tells one how the intervention group did compared to how it was before it started.