May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Filgotinib (JAK1 inhibitor) future of CFS/ME treatment?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Jesse2233, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Filgotinib is a Janus kinase inhibitor with selectivity for subtype JAK1 of this enzyme due for release in 2019.

It is rumored that Dr Kenny De Meirleir has his eye on it as a way to break the inflammatory cascade he believes is behind CFS/ME. The drug has also been discussed on various investment forums as a potential CFS/ME treatment.

It is currently undergoing clinical trials for rheumatoid arthritis and Crohn's disease.

Does anyone have more information on this drug? Or have a clear understanding of how its mechanism of action might be helpful?

justy, pattismith, Aubry and 3 others like this.
  2. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    More on JAK1

ljimbo423 likes this.
  3. Marc_NL

Marc_NL Senior Member

Do you have a link?
    On investment forums I saw it discussed on the official indications mentioned here:
    http://www.glpg.com/clinical-pipelines

I've seen it discussed on ME / Lyme forums in relation to ME.

You might also find @Twazzle 's post interesting when he talks about it at the end:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ointment-with-dr-kdm.50270/page-5#post-899083

justy, dadouv47 and Jesse2233 like this.
  4. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Thanks @Marc_NL

From @Twazzle's post...

"The goal of KDM’s treatment is to attempt to break the cycle which is happening in the intestines by correcting the dysbiosis using pulsed antibiotics/probiotics. In continually removing the source of the inflammation (the excess LPS caused by the SIBO), the immune system over time will allowed a chance to normalise and eventually be able to take care of the problem itself.

This is easier said than done however as the SIBO comes back very quickly after the course of antibiotics, especially in sufferers who have been sick for a long time as the biofilms are better established/there is usually greater degree of inflammation & tight junction breakdown.

There is hope for us all in the future however as a new breed of genetic medicines are due to hit the market in 2019 for Rheumatoid Arthritis/Crohns, if given regulatory approval. They inhibit the JAK enzyme which is responsible for inducing inflammation in the body/gut. The hope is in that inhibiting the JAK 1 /STAT 3 pathway that the dendritic cells in the gut will be extinguished and intestinal immunity will be given chance to normalise. This will attenuate the translocation of LPS, the immune system will shift back to TH1 and systemic inflammation will eventually die down allowing healing/recovery to occur."

justy and Aubry like this.
  5. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    boombachi and Marc_NL like this.
  6. Marc_NL

Marc_NL Senior Member

@Jesse2233
    Thanks, I just googled and found the exact same discussion ;)

Jesse2233 likes this.
  7. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

Meirleir has a lot of drugs but no data..

pibee likes this.
  8. Aubry

Aubry

I heard KDM is going to test this JAK inhibitor on USA patients in 2018 ?

justy, Twazzle and ljimbo423 like this.
  9. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Really? He'll be part of a trial?

10. Twazzle

Twazzle

Where did you hear this?

Also, there is another JAK1 inhibitor drug called upadacinib (AbbieVie) which I have seen is under investigation for numerous inflammatory conditions.

From what I have read it is has a similar effectiveness to filgotinib, although it does express more affinity for JAK2 than filgotinib. This is seen as a negative as inhibiting Jak2 could have a negative impact on hemoglobin and the amount of NK cells which potentially limits the dose. The phase 3 results it has posted so far however (for RA) have been positive.

justy likes this.
  11. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Yes JAK2 inhibition seems to be where many of the adverse reported side effects of Tofacitinib (Xeljanz) comes from

12. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

jak1 inhibitor will also likely have a negative impact on NK cell biology, for which some NK booster may be given

13. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    @Daffodil do you have a source that?

14. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

yea my doc

15. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

Any reports of other JAK1 drugs tried in cfs patients?

16. Aubry

Aubry

Absence of Effects of Filgotinib on Erythrocytes, CD8+ and NK Cells in Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients Brings Further Evidence for the JAK1 Selectivity of Filgotinib
    http://acrabstracts.org/abstract/ab...dence-for-the-jak1-selectivity-of-filgotinib/

"Similarly, no effects were observed on blood CD8+and NK cell percentages, suggesting that the gamma chain signalling, mostly dependent on JAK3 signalling, was not inhibited by filgotinib."

Helen likes this.
  17. knackers323

anyone know why Oclacitinib is unsuitable for humans?

18. knackers323

I tried a small amount and similar to other things that effect the immune system, like Macrolides, Plaquenil etc. I felt much better within hours. Now the question is what is similar to this that is safe to take?

19. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    I'm also hoping i might get a chance to try a Jak inhibitor of some sort, as it is also implicated in MCAS. Its clear to me that a large part of my illness is inflammatory in nature.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28382662

Aubry likes this.
  20. knackers323

See more popular forum discussions.