Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fibromyalgia study "Aberrant Cerebral Blood Flow Responses During Cognition" (Montoro et al., 2014)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25151113

Sean, Simon, Valentijn and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Simon and Valentijn like this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Of course they have to write that psychosocial factors are somehow (magically!) relevant. :bang-head:

The only psychosocial factors here are parasitic psychologists taking advantage of patients with poorly understood illnesses.

Sidereal, Cheshire, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  4. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Highlights of that excellent summary by Adrienn Dellwo:

When you have fibro fog, it could be because your brain isn't getting enough blood to function properly. ..

In the healthy people, shortly after beginning the math, blood flow increased in the middle and anterior cerebral arteries. The amount of blood-flow increase was greater in those who performed better.

In those with fibromyalgia, however, the blood-flow response was much smaller... The worse the person's pain, the lower the blood flow response – and the poorer the performance.

This seems to suggest that we have problems with these types of tasks because of abnormal blood flow to the areas of the brain needed for the task. It also helps confirm a suspected link between pain and cognitive function

Dolphin likes this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    In the last decade my math skills have been declining alarmingly. In the mid 90s I could not even count to three. Any surprise here? Not for me. As usual though we still need more follow up science.

For example, increased blood flow to a region often follows increased energy demand. If energy production is suppressed then blood flow will not increase. This problem needs to be teased apart a lot more.

Dolphin likes this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Much of psychiatry has been trying to find the magical physiology that will explain their extreme hypotheses. Yet its a two edged sword ... it gives them experimental targets, but that evidence can also bury their unproven hypotheses.

See more popular forum discussions.