Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fibromyalgia Misdiagnosis - FM/CFS Symptoms Traced to Psoas Muscle

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by Wayne, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    I just read a remarkable post (below) that was made just yesterday on a thread from 2003 entitled, "Wrongly diagnosed for 2 years - see real cause". In the original post, the author traced the cause of her FM symptoms to a tight psoas muscle. It's a good example of how a diagnosis--whether FM or many others--is not always a correct one.

The story below tells of how another man discovered his own CFS/FM symptoms were also being significantly impacted by a tight psoas muscle. I put his story under the "Sleep" forum, because of his reference to "excruciating insomnia".

There's been a number of threads on PR discussing various therapies addressing structural issues and how they've been helpful. I'm convinced they're a large part of my own health picture.

Wayne

Written by Michael on 8-3-15

"This post change my life ... almost overnight! I had been suffering from CFS for ten years. Like many, I had tried EVERYTHING in the book. I had been told my symptoms were related to early childhood trauma, and had been working with several practitioners on trauma release for about two years, but the symptoms were not improving.

I had been suffering a particularly bad bout of CFS for the past few weeks. I had excruciating insomnia, and slept only a couple hours in early morning, and when I woke, it felt like my body had been through war. During the day, I could not focus on the simplest of tasks.

A few nights ago, I came across this post about the psoas muscle. I did more research, and learned that the psoas muscle is the primary muscular mechanism in the fight/ flight response (receiving orders from the amygdala), as the psoas muscle is what moves the legs to run. I noticed how much tension I carry in the psoas muscle, and that part of my pattern of CFS was tension in the gut, and difficultly breathing, all related to psoas tension.

I looked up some simple yoga stretches for the psoas, and did them before bed. The first night, I slept a full night, and woke reasonably rested. I think it may have been easy for me to begin to correct the psoas tension, because in my past life (before CFS) I was a highly trained athlete.

I believe the psoas is the link in the chain between psychological states (for me, the result of childhood trauma) and the somatic/ bodily symptoms of CFS. I have learned so much about this chain (from amygdala to vagus nerve to psoas muscle), and I would be eager to share information with anyone who thinks it might support them. If you would like to dialogue more about this with me, please email me.

My prayers to all who suffer from these chronic illnesses.

Michael"​

Violeta and ahmo like this.
  2. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Wow...first experience of some stretches changed his life.:jaw-drop::thumbsup:

Misfit Toy likes this.
  3. Violeta

Violeta Senior Member

Very interesting, Wayne, thank you.

My brother brought my attention to the psoas muscle when I saw him on Memorial Day. An accupuncturist had brought it to his attention and did some accupuncture on him and told him to do three yoga stretches, too. He has some postural and intestinal issues similar to mine so he shared the info with me. We ran out of time before he told me the three stretches, but I do know one stretch that is good for stretching it out. Interesting that Michael mentioned the vagus nerve and the amygdala, too.

And also, I had found this the day after talking to him. I go back to this site every now and then but haven't studied it enough. I will get back into it more now after reading your post.

http://www.yoganatomy.com/psoas-resources/

I had been wondering why the psoas muscles play such a big part in a disease that a friend of mine has (polymyositis), and was thinking that it could at least be caused in part by a pathogen due to being in the vicinity of the intestines and pathogens leaking into the abdominal cavity. Either that or something having to do with the ileocecal valve. That may or may not be part of others' issues with it, but is most likely part of my disease.

Here's a list of symptoms caused by ileocecal valve disfunction. I don't know which came first.

"
    Health Problems Associated With the Ileocecal Valve

ICV malfunction can cause a large array of health problems, usually associated with the common chronic health issues prevalent in our society. Because of the numerous amount of symptoms associated with the ICV, it is often called the "great mimicker." This broad spectrum of problems is usually related to toxicity and intestinal dysfunction. The following conditions can be directly or indirectly associated with ICV dysfunction:

• dark circles under the eyes;
    • ringing in the ears;
    • low back pain;
    • bursitis;
    • fibromyalgia;
    • headaches;
    • weakened immune functions;
    • allergies;
    • cold flu sinuses;
    • nausea, faintness and dizziness; and
    • indigestion, gas and bloating.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    Wayne likes this.
  4. SOC

SOC

Sounds like this might be just the thing for people whose chronic fatigue is the result of muscular tension possibly related to psychological states (such as childhood trauma). It's cheap. It's easy. It's quick. :thumbsup: Let's all hope that those who fit this profile find this thread and try this treatment.

For those with the neuroimmune illness ME (as defined by the ICC) which is not the result of muscular tension or psychological states... not so much. We'll have to keep waiting.

mango likes this.
  5. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    PNR2008, Violeta and Effi like this.
  6. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois Prairie ❀❤✿Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ✿❤❀

Midwest, USA
    Quite a few years ago I was in an auto accident and my insurance paid for several physical therapy visits. The therapist found that I had a very tight Psoas muscle. I am not sure she got it totally released before my insurance ran out. I may give these a try.

Violeta and Wayne like this.

See more popular forum discussions.