1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fibrinogen

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by ttt, Jul 15, 2013.

1. ttt

ttt

Santa Monica, CA
    I just got my fibrinogen tested, and I thought CFS was associated with high fibrinogen, but my fibrinogen is actually low -- 151 (193-507). Does anyone know what it means when fibrinogen is low?

2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    From wikipedia:

Ema likes this.
  3. LaurieL

LaurieL Senior Member

Midwest
    http://www.uptodate.com/contents/disorders-of-fibrinogen

Low levels are usually associated with an "acquired" deficiency state. As far as CFS/ME, the high levels are most talked about, but the commonality is a abnormal coagulation state. So you may not fall into the most often category, you still have the general tendency. There are other values that should be looked at alongside this one. Liver testing would also be appropriate.

http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/fibrinogen/tab/test

LaurieL

4. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

CFS and hypercoagulation? You may be thinking of high fibrin and low fibrinogen, since fibrin is formed from fibrinogen. Excessive conversion may be causing the low levels?

Valentijn likes this.
  5. ttt

ttt

Santa Monica, CA
    I love this forum -- there are so many smart people here. OK, but I'm not entirely sure I understand these responses. So I'm getting that low fibrinogen could be a problem. Does this mean, though, that I should get my fibrin tested at the same time to see if the reason my fibrinogen is low is because it's being over-converted to fibrin? And also get my liver tested to see if that's the problem? What are some tests for liver function?

Valentijn, I'm not sure if I understand that Wikipedia blurb, but is it basically saying the same thing that biophile is saying -- that I'm overconverting fibrinogen to fibrin?

6. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
  7. ttt

ttt

Santa Monica, CA
    Thanx, Sushi. I didn't really understand that second article (if you understand it, I'd love a dumbed down translation), but I looked up the tests on the ISAC profile, and I'm gonna have my doctor order them. Thank you!

8. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I think so, though no idea if that's the only explanation for it. But in any case, low = bad :p

See more popular forum discussions.