August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fewer Malingerers in Patients with Fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by barbc56, May 17, 2017.

1. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

There's been some high quality research out of Israel about Fibromyalgia. While this study is almost nine years old it made a statement that absolutely astonished me. The bolded part of the abstract is what caught my attention. Even if the study is junk science, I would like to see the references they use for the statement.

As well as bolding I have broken up the abstract for easier reading,

I'm not focusing on the quality of the study per se, but if others want to that's fine with me.

Edit. Now I'm not sure I'm reading the statement correctly. Are they interchanging Post Traumatic Syndrome with Post Trauma Fibromyalgia having fewer malingerers? Both?

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    PhoenixDown likes this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I'm coming down with a migraine, so may be missing something obvious, but aren't they just saying that few cases of FM involve malingering or secondary gain? I've no idea of the research in this area, but don't see an obvious reason for that to grab your attention.

barbc56 likes this.
  3. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I think what surprised me is the fact that FM and ME/CFS are often misdiagnosed as the other or seen as the same condition, so fall under the biopsychosocial/mus category. FM is sometimes considered a form of me/cfs, though I think this is changing. So to read that the authors state there're few malingerers or secondary gains in FM is interesting and I am curious what references the authors used as the conclusions in studies and the literature are more the opposite than not as well as the recommendation of cbt/get.

Don't know if that makes sense. It's weird what can grab your attention.:)

Esther12 likes this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

It was my impression that in papers from the late 90s on there was generally an emphasis on patients not being deliberately deceptive, but being victims of their own distorted understanding, which may be influence by social factors like disability benefits.

I'm not sure there was ever much evidence for any of the speculation on this stuff. You're right that it could be interesting if there was strong supporting evidence though.

See more popular forum discussions.