Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Feeling freaked out over new symptom, lost hearing in an ear

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by taniaaust1, Mar 17, 2015.

1. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Hopefully my ear is just blocked, I did have to get my ears drained once as a young child (when I guess things like that are more common) but right now Im really freaked about this new symptom I've only just found out I have.

I was speaking to someone from the ME/CFS society on the phone and when I went to change arms and ears as I usually do when my arm starts to hurt, I suddenly discovered I had very bad hearing in the other ear. I switched the phone back to the other side and the other on the other end was still talking fairly loud, I switched back and forth getting the same result each time.

A fairly loud normal voice, I couldn't keep the phone on my left ear as its too hard for me to hear, I had to strain to hear the voice on that side. I know my left ear was working right at least a few days ago when I had a phone to that side.

:( I've always suspected I have severe mitochrondrial issues with the ME/CFS and I had two weird days in my childhood with what could of been a mitochrondrial issue coming in in which I suddenly found myself unable to walk further (once at 8-10yrs and once at around 14years old). My father had a hearing aid(s) as a child but hears good now as adult. (Aspergers which I have and is throu my family has also been said to be connected to mitochrondrial disorder).

Anyway.. Im freaked out right now to find out Im suddenly near deaf in one ear. (I did have a very stressful day, day before court and have been crying, could that affect an ear so it no longer hears well at all?)

Right now I have all kinds of thoughts running through my head due to this.. what if I wake up in the morning only to find myself completely deaf?

Other then mito issues or a completely blocked ear, what else can cause one sided sudden (unless its been happening over a couple of days but I didn't notice) hearing loss? Could crying have blocked my ear???

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  2. themjay

themjay

Please don't panic. I have had a similar thing happen a few years ago. It is very frightening. My doctor just shrugged and said I propably had Meniere's disease - this stressed my out even more.... Eventually it corrected itself, but I do still get episodes. You obviously need to rule out anything else none ME related.

Valentijn likes this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

@taniaaust1 - A temporary blockage is probably the most likely culprit. You probably don't get your ears properly cleaned very often, and swelling can also cause issues.

4. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

Dont worry, i have the same isues from time to time. It usually goes over after some week. Its probs just ear wax

5. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Get it checked, promptly!

rosamary likes this.
  6. rosamary

rosamary Senior Member

7. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    thanks all. This morning that ear is hearing fine so I'm assuming its just wax or something in there. I'm going to ask my support workers to take me to the health shop next time I get taken shopping so I can hopefully get an ear candle there and use it on that ear so it don't happen again.

Valentijn and Misfit Toy like this.
  8. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

I sometimes get brief episodes of tinnitus in one or the other ear which begins with a significant loss of hearing in the affected ear. The ringing usually last only 5-10 minutes, but it begins with a sort of quick "pinching off" of the sound from that ear.

[FWIW, ear wax can also affect hearing without blocking the ear canal. It can reduce hearing by simply becoming partially lodged against the ear drum, thereby interfering with the ear drum's ability to move.]

Valentijn likes this.
  9. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

USA
    I have one ear that hears better than the other; I don't really understand this because I listen to music and I listen to music with both ears. Why one over another?

But also I have problems with my eyes which started when I turned 38. They've slowly been declining-I can only see things far away instead of up close. Some days my eyes are better than others, which lets me know it's part of the disease whether it's Sjogren's syndrome or CFS, I don't know.

I know that Sjogren's syndrome really does affect the eyes and it seems to of been turned on around the same time that I started having joint pain and hormone issues.

Tania-Anyway, I'm glad things are better now and that you can hear in the ear that was troubling you... ear candling sounds like a great idea. I would like to have it done myself.

10. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    Don't panic, but I would encourage you to see an ENT if the symptoms last more than 3 days or the symptoms start waxing and waning.

Do you have any echoing (autophony) or sensation hearing yourself chewing?? If so, it could be your eustachain tube. You can sort of check it by "popping" your ears (hold your breath/nose and blow). I have to pop mine at least once per day because my left one is much harder to pop than my right, but I'm 90% deaf in right earear even though I have severe tinnitus in my right ear.

physicsstudent13 likes this.
  11. physicsstudent13

physicsstudent13 Senior Member

US

See more popular forum discussions.