• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feeling exhausted after bowel movement

jjxx

Interesting. I don't get fatigue after a BM. I have you this cold feeling in my hands and feets when I have more inflammation, or something to do with serotonin.
My guess is that the inflammation in your colon is causing your symptoms. Did you get tested for some infections?
Can you elaborate what to do with serotonin? Interesting to know.

jjxx

Yes, I have the same problem for as long as I can remember, on and off, slight or severe, largely depending on my overall digestive conditions. If my digestive system is in dismay, being triggered by indigestion or reactive to unfit food etc, it become worse for sure. Based on Traditional Chinese Medicine, it reflects the "illness" of digestive system, which I agree. I would add my hypothesis: a weakened body can't handle a normal physiological activity, and it becomes a stress or strain. Possibly another sign of weakened adrenal resulted from interrupted digestive system? Especially I suspect low blood pressure involved more than low blood sugar. It's easy to prove.
One trick helps me bypass this successfully: avoid BM in the AM, do it PM. This little trick again approves my adrenal hypothesis somehow.

Last edited:
Yes, I have the same problem for as long as I can remember, on and off, slight or severe, largely depending on my overall digestive conditions. If my digestive system is in dismay, being triggered by indigestion or reactive to unfit food etc, it become worse for sure. Based on Traditional Chinese Medicine, it reflects the "illness" of digestive system, which I agree. I would add my hypothesis: a weakened body can't handle a normal physiological activity, and it becomes a stress or strain. Possibly another sign of weakened adrenal resulted from interrupted digestive system?
One trick helps me bypass this successfully: avoid BM in the AM, do it PM. This little trick again approves my adrenal hypothesis somehow.

We were discussing this issue with my friends from gastroenterology department in the university for several days. After getting opinions from our expert gastroenterologist teachers we come up with the following hypothesis;

Since forum moderator friends told me that, medical advise are not allowed. So this is not a medical advise or diagnose. These are opinions from medical faculty, student of gastroenterology department.

There are several possible reasons we thought; each reason needs to be tested by gastroenterology department to find out the root of the fatigue after BM. However, we've focused on intestine inflammation because it can make you really tired and suffer. We understood that not only on this forum but over 10+ other forums and google pages, there are several people having the same problem after BM.

Possible reasons/opinions needs to be tested/evaluated on patients by gastroenterology department at the hospital.
  • We approach to this issue as Occasional & Reiterative Intestine Inflammation, that is triggered by the following possible reasons and the patients do not have blood in stool or any abnormal blood/colonoscopy results.
  1. A silent Crohn's disease. Crohn may cause severe symtoms on some people but it is also not causing symtomps on many people which we call a silent crohn. We have seen a lot and the only way was to make a colonoscopy on the right time to notice it. Since it is occasional and cannot be detected everytime. While patient does not have Crohn symtoms, it does continue to create Inflammation on intestines that effects patient mood and drains energy of the body. There is no treatment for Crohn then fixing its symtoms, it depends on your psychology, the psychology needs to be fixed. It is very likely that while passing stool in intestines cause more inflammation on already inflammated areas that can result fatigue as intestine is sick and effects whole mood including energy of the body.

2. Miltary Neck and back issues. You may ask how this is related to BM, it is simple. When you make a normal strain during the BM, you activate your all back nerve, muscles that goes right from your lower back to your neck. This can trigger your back issues and military neck if there is already one which causes severe fatigue, dizziness, week arms, hands, feeling empty as your brain lacks of blood. This can be checked by M.R with physiotherapist and can be fixed easily by physical therapy + lifetime exercises.

3. Parasites, especially the tape worm.

4. Abnormal sleep times and sleep disorders that results everyday different hour BM. A healty life and healty BM should happend at the same time interval everyday. Not AM,PM,AM,PM, or everyday but then once in a 5 day. That shows; you have eating disorders, not eating 3 times a day on same hours for example or having sleep disorders. We have added this item to high possibilty because it can cause great intestine inflammation that is even written in book.

5. Psychological issues you may not even aware if you have, this can directly effect BM, stool shape,
    constipation, diarrhea, pain on the lower left after/before BM, list goes like that but we call them all " IBS ". When your psychology is broken, you cannot imagine how it effects your life especially your intestines.
These are our opinions with my other gastroenterology student friends. Again, according to forum rules, this is not an advise or diagnose. You should see an expert gastroenterologist if you are getting fatigue after BM.

Last edited:

jjxx

We were discussing this issue with my friends from gastroenterology department in the university for several days. After getting opinions from our expert gastroenterologist teachers we come up with the following hypothesis;

Since forum moderator friends told me that, medical advise are not allowed. So this is not a medical advise or diagnose. These are opinions from medical faculty, student of gastroenterology department.

There are several possible reasons we thought; each reason needs to be tested by gastroenterology department to find out the root of the fatigue after BM. However, we've focused on intestine inflammation because it can make you really tired and suffer. We understood that not only on this forum but over 10+ other forums and google pages, there are several people having the same problem after BM.

Possible reasons/opinions needs to be tested/evaluated on patients by gastroenterology department at the hospital.
  • We approach to this issue as Occasional & Reiterative Intestine Inflammation, that is triggered by the following possible reasons and the patients do not have blood in stool or any abnormal blood/colonoscopy results.
  1. A silent Crohn's disease. Crohn may cause severe symtoms on some people but it is also not causing symtomps on many people which we call a silent crohn. We have seen a lot and the only way was to make a colonoscopy on the right time to notice it. Since it is occasional and cannot be detected everytime. While patient does not have Crohn symtoms, it does continue to create Inflammation on intestines that effects patient mood and drains energy of the body. There is no treatment for Crohn then fixing its symtoms, it depends on your psychology, the psychology needs to be fixed. It is very likely that while passing stool in intestines cause more inflammation on already inflammated areas that can result fatigue as intestine is sick and effects whole mood including energy of the body.

2. Miltary Neck and back issues. You may ask how this is related to BM, it is simple. When you make a normal strain during the BM, you activate your all back nerve, muscles that goes right from your lower back to your neck. This can trigger your back issues and military neck if there is already one which causes severe fatigue, dizziness, week arms, hands, feeling empty as your brain lacks of blood. This can be checked by M.R with physiotherapist and can be fixed easily by physical therapy + lifetime exercises.

3. Parasites, especially the tape worm.

4. Abnormal sleep times and sleep disorders that results everyday different hour BM. A healty life and healty BM should happend at the same time interval everyday. Not AM,PM,AM,PM, or everyday but then once in a 5 day. That shows; you have eating disorders, not eating 3 times a day on same hours for example or having sleep disorders. We have added this item to high possibilty because it can cause great intestine inflammation that is even written in book.

5. Psychological issues you may not even aware if you have, this can directly effect BM, stool shape,
    constipation, diarrhea, pain on the lower left after/before BM, list goes like that but we call them all " IBS ". When your psychology is broken, you cannot imagine how it effects your life especially your intestines.
These are our opinions with my other gastroenterology student friends. Again, according to forum rules, this is not an advise or diagnose. You should see an expert gastroenterologist if you are getting fatigue after BM.
Thanks for those valuable info !
I find the silent Crhon's correlates with my own experiences and interpretation of the BM. Also tape worm is one thing worthy of further investigation in my case. I am sure others will find others from your list relevant.
Many thanks to you and your colleagues

Double Trigger:

It seems that BMs are a second way that post-exertion malaise, weakness and soreness kick in. So I have two types of triggers for increasing the intensity of ME/CFS symptoms. One is activity/exercise; the other is having a BM.

Both induce brain fog, body fatigue, muscle aches and pains, sweating easily or spontaneously (including when sleeping), a perceived rise in body temperature, and a great need to lie down (even on the floor if there is no couch or bed).

Is this familiar to others who have not yet chimed in on this thread?
I have this too. Right before and immediately afterwards for 30 min. Sometimes it's heart racing, flu like, or malaise. I've wondered if it's not some sort of cytokine release from the intestines

Couldn't detox explain these symptoms (or at least part of them) ?

After a bowel movement, I almost always have brain fog + "thoughts going everywhere", and sometimes also increased heart rate.
But I also sometimes have increased pain in my arms and legs, when I'm in a detoxification phase through mold avoidance.

Couldn't this be, that after toxins have been put out of the body through the bowel movement, the body feels it can release new toxins hence the feeling in the arms, legs (pain) and brain (brain fog), corresponding to new toxins being released in these areas of the body ?
Indeed, these symptoms look like the symptoms I have from mold avoidance and taking zeolite.

But maybe I'm just trying to reassure myself…

After a bowel movement, I almost always have brain fog + "thoughts going everywhere", and sometimes also increased heart rate.
But I also sometimes have increased pain in my arms and legs, when I'm in a detoxification phase through mold avoidance.

Couldn't this be, that after toxins have been put out of the body through the bowel movement, the body feels it can release new toxins hence the feeling in the arms, legs (pain) and brain (brain fog), corresponding to new toxins being released in these areas of the body ?
Indeed, these symptoms look like the symptoms I have from mold avoidance and taking zeolite.

It is very normal to have an increased heart rate during or after BM. When you strain your self, more blood is needed to be pumped also because of the position heart needs to pump more blood.

The body does not release toxins after BM or before BM in no time. A bit toxins are released in stool by bad and good bacteria in bowels, therefore they are kept in bowels and never goes into blood stream.

Trying to guess on this issue and thinking about it makes it worst, in such cases we have noticed intestine inflammation that patient does not even aware of it which causes such symtomps and many of them are get fixed after the inflammation reason is found and cured. It is best to visit a good gastroenterologist to be checked. At least some blood works needed to eliminate other things. This will also relief you.

TreePerson

I have this too not always but definitely happens. Increased pain particularly in arms and legs. Sometimes also all over ill feeling. I have also wondered what causes it and assumed it some kind of toxin being released.

@Sushi and all. I get horrible burning with pain in stomach after BM with weakness/fatigue worsening. I crash and feel sleepy. My fatigue gets worsened. I become irritable, angry and feel like killin myself. My Gastro is clueless and said I should see Psychiatrist! Is it linked to onset of IBD. I have constipation. I feel better after I eat something after BM.I tried Keto for few weeks but it didn't work and infact my condition worsened. Don't know whether it is linked to Endocrino, EBV-virome-phages-microbiome, mast cell activation -vagus nerve-autonomic dysfunction, neuroinflammation. Any suggestions or hacks from experts on this forum to improve would be highly appreciated. I don't know what to do. I searched a lot but couldn't find any answer. I'm too scared to go to washroom. And pray Lord before going to washroom. Please someone do reply.

Regards,
Np

Moof

When I described my symptoms prior to BM, my GP was convinced it was to do with vagal stimulation. It's a cycle of severe weakness, then a flush of muscle pain, then a vague sense of doom, then an overwhelming urge to sleep that's so strong I could do it standing up, then profuse sweating when I wake up 10 minutes later. This repeats every 50 to 60 minutes.

The problem is that this should happen only once, and after the BM. With me, it's always beforehand and often repeats for hours on end. I feel completely back to normal afterwards, but the lead-up (anything from three hours to a full day) I'm fit for nothing.

It can also happen on a lesser scale when I've got a full bladder, though I don't actually fall sleep. It's only when I've done too much activity, though – on a normal day I just flush and sweat profusely.

I've never found a way round it, and have just had to adapt to living with it. Interestingly, my sister, who's never had ME, has the same symptoms with a full bladder. As with me, it started in her late 30s for no apparent reason. So now we both announce a need to visit the loo by going scarlet and dripping with sweat! :rolleyes:

BeautifulDay

No, I get this too. I think it has something to do with blood sugar levels, but I have very little evidence to back this up.

I remember reading about gastroparesis (where the gut/ bowel movements are abnormally slow). I've seen people write about sudden drops in blood sugar levels.

Some people have suggested that this happens when the gut suddenly dumps all the digested food into the small intestine (or something, I can't really remember), causing a sudden dip in blood sugar.

I don't have any links for that, unfortunately. But I think something similar is happening for some of us here - we take abnormally long to digest food/ for the gut to complete its movements, and then a lot is dumped into the small intestine at once (or whatever).

Have you tried eating directly after? I have a similar symptom. I've found it gets relieved by eating straight after. I think this is due to blood sugar levels, which I wrote about at the start of my post (above).

For the last year, I've realized I go into hypoglycemia within 20 minutes after a B.M. Initially I thought it can't be. But when I tested it with a glucose monitor for a week, it happened every day. A small glass of orange juice soon after I feel the symptoms coming on definitely helps.

I also have gastroparesis. Generally it's just slow food processing by a few hours. But when it comes on full force, I'm stuck in bed drinking liquids for a few days and laying on my left side until it passes. I didn't realize what it was the first year and I ended up in the hospital several times for trying to eat meals when my stomach had turned off completely. Having a slow stomach with gastroparesis is much easier than when it decides to go completely off-line.

WoolPippi

For the last year, I've realized I go into hypoglycemia within 20 minutes after a B.M. Initially I thought it can't be. But when I tested it with a glucose monitor for a week, it happened every day. A small glass of orange juice soon after I feel the symptoms coming on definitely helps.

Briljant you! For investigating your theory and for confirming it with the glucose meter. :thumbsup:
I'm going to follow your example.

I learned to counter the exhaustion after a bowel movement by timing my Hydrocortison (HC) with the bowel movement as I certainly collaps after a BM if I'm late with taking my HC supplement. Now you suggest another mechanism of bodily equilibrium to investigate and manipulate. Time to get my glucose meter out of the cupboard. Thank you.

@BeautifulDay But what could be causing this low sugar and weakness post BM. I have delayed motility issue with PEM for 6 years and suddenly since last 5 months I am crashing alongwith burning, pain in gut after BM. Is it linked to overexpression of TRPV1 receptors in gut?

Regards,
Np

BeautifulDay

@BeautifulDay But what could be causing this low sugar and weakness post BM. I have delayed motility issue with PEM for 6 years and suddenly since last 5 months I am crashing alongwith burning, pain in gut after BM. Is it linked to overexpression of TRPV1 receptors in gut?

Regards,
Np

Hi @Nadirtopinnacle

I'm not sure everyone's post BM exhaustion is due to hypoglycemia. There are many credible theories in this thread. I just know that hypoglycemia is tied into mine. I don't have the same burning pain as you do. I wish I could be more help.

When I described my symptoms prior to BM, my GP was convinced it was to do with vagal stimulation. It's a cycle of severe weakness, then a flush of muscle pain, then a vague sense of doom, then an overwhelming urge to sleep that's so strong I could do it standing up, then profuse sweating when I wake up 10 minutes later. This repeats every 50 to 60 minutes.

The problem is that this should happen only once, and after the BM. With me, it's always beforehand and often repeats for hours on end. I feel completely back to normal afterwards, but the lead-up (anything from three hours to a full day) I'm fit for nothing.

It can also happen on a lesser scale when I've got a full bladder, though I don't actually fall sleep. It's only when I've done too much activity, though – on a normal day I just flush and sweat profusely.

I've never found a way round it, and have just had to adapt to living with it. Interestingly, my sister, who's never had ME, has the same symptoms with a full bladder. As with me, it started in her late 30s for no apparent reason. So now we both announce a need to visit the loo by going scarlet and dripping with sweat! :rolleyes:

Hi @Moof my symptoms come after BM. I have delayed gut motility identified by Gastro based on motility studies. My tongue turns bitter with sweating and I feel horribly weak with pain and burning only in stomach. My gastro says looks like acid reflux but horrible weakness due to acid reflux is perplexing. I googled it unable to find any answer.

Regards,
Np

For those who have this atypical Post Bowel Movement syndrome which has symptoms like:

1. Extreme weakness gradually starting 5-10 minutes after finishing a regular BM, that can last from a few hours to many hours/whole day/till the next day

2. Heavy breathing / Increased heart beat (or a similar sensation) / Sleepiness

3. Diffuse low-to-medium pain all over abdomen esp. with pressure, that radiates all over body (more like the aftermath of a kick in the stomach than the stubbing pain of food poisoning)

4. Episodes more intense after a larger ΒΜ and much less so with a more constipated (types 1-2) one. So the intensity of straining is not related to these episodes, quite the opposite.

5. Nothing unusual or abnormal about the BM itself or any other gastrointestinal symptoms in general (IBS-like or anything). No gastrointestinal symptoms of any kind before BM. No BM, no issues.

6. Not having a BM for a day can help the area recover after an intense long-lasting episode. Immodium can help with that.

I have experienced this syndrome most of my life. No medical diagnosis (many gastros have find it amusing..), no helpful intervention, many failed drug experiments (antinflammatories, antispasmodics, IBS drugs, steroid, probiotics and vitamins/supplements, squatty potty, raising insuline with food etc).

What I have find to be the most useful is to immediately after a BM -and even before the symptoms kick in hard- lay down on your stomach/prone position (preferably with hands up below head) for 15-30mins, or till it stops feel unpleasant and breathing returns to normal. This position increases discomfort but it helps ease the symptoms much faster and more efficiently, so one can go on with their day. The more intense the episode, the more time it takes. It might need to repeat process.
Contrary, the supine position may increase the intensity and duration that these episodes last. Other things that might be somewhat helpful: pressing abdomen during a BM, sleeping, hot showers/hot pads.

This multi-symptom syndrome has been linked to vasovagal overstimulation/syncope, however it doesnt fit the description, as it can last many hours, it starts gradually and it is accompanied with pain. Still a different kind of vasovagal implication is possible (or a neuro-gut syndrome or some topical neurological malfunction), as these episodes are multi-symptom. Other explanations (like stenosis, hemorroids, incomplete BM, other serious health problems) seem much less possible. However, it seems to act like a "trauma" where the intensity of the symptoms gradually climaxes few minutes after the event, and pressure helps it ease.

There is no diagnosis but online reports can be seen quite often. It is not CFS related, but it is fatigue related. Hope that these observations might be helpful to someone.

Pyrrhus

I have experienced this syndrome most of my life. No medical diagnosis (many gastros have find it amusing..), no helpful intervention, many failed drug experiments (antinflammatories, antispasmodics, IBS drugs, steroid, probiotics and vitamins/supplements, squatty potty, raising insuline with food etc).

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for sharing!

What I have find to be the most useful is to immediately after a BM -and even before the symptoms kick in hard- lay down on your stomach/prone position (preferably with hands up below head) for 15-30mins, or till it stops feel unpleasant and breathing returns to normal. This position increases discomfort but it helps ease the symptoms much faster and more efficiently, so one can go on with their day. The more intense the episode, the more time it takes. It might need to repeat process.

Very interesting. :monocle:

This multi-symptom syndrome has been linked to vasovagal overstimulation/syncope, however it doesnt fit the description, as it can last many hours, it starts gradually and it is accompanied with pain. Still a different kind of vasovagal implication is possible (or a neuro-gut syndrome or some topical neurological malfunction), as these episodes are multi-symptom.

It certainly sounds like some sort of autonomic dysfunction, possibly vasovagal...

Very interesting and helpful thread. I discovered this forum because I was searching the net for information on extraordinary fatigue following bowel movement. Suspected vagus issues, as the wildly-inappropriately named "lazy gut" is considered a common issue with post polio syndrome, which I have, and polio affected the vagus nerve along with other things. But in the last year it has become extreme, with even greater fatigue and "the shakes" and breathlessness, which just seemed absurd. Reading people's experience here has helped to give it all a context - thank you! Particularly interested in the possibility of sudden blood glucose drop, as that would explain the "shakes". If I find a rest with OJ helps, I'll report back...