• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feeling crap his week. Could it be the kefir...?

Sporty

Hi guys

I've been feeling worse this last week. I'm feeling tired and achy with a general feeling of malaise again. I guess I feel a bit nauseous too. Horrible! Initially I thought it was my Armour thyroid medication as I've been experiencing horrible migraine type headaches again since reintroducing Armour.

However, I've reintroduced kefir again in to my regime in the last month. Could my symptoms this week be due to kefir? I'd never considered it could be kefir as its meant to be so healthy!

My diets the same and supplement regime is the same. I can't think what else it can be! Help?

Any thoughts will be gratefully received....

Simon

adreno

PR activist
That could easily be the culprit. Anything with lactic acid makes me feel awful. Lactate intolerance is very common in ME.

Sporty

That could easily be the culprit. Anything with lactic acid makes me feel awful. Lactate intolerance is very common in ME.

Really!? Lactic acid? Is there any obvious way of me finding out if this is the case, that it's kefir/lactic acid? I seem to be ok with the goats milk I have with porridge. I've just got this dreadful feeling of feeling unwell back. Every days a struggle again and I jyst can't work out what triggers it.....!

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I have had good experiences with dairy keifr and very bad with water kefir. In the end, I had to stop the dairy one because with leaky gut casein is a nobrainer.

snowathlete

Kefir did not agree with me when I tried it. That is not uncommon. Not all 'friendly' bacteria are so friendly to all of us. I'd say it's likely the cause of your problem.

Sporty

Kefir did not agree with me when I tried it. That is not uncommon. Not all 'friendly' bacteria are so friendly to all of us. I'd say it's likely the cause of your problem.

Hi, may I ask what problems you had with it? I'm going to stop taking it as of today.

snowathlete

I'm not sure I can remember. I think it gave me loads of bowel movements and made me feel generally ill. I've recently found that lactobaccilus supplement does not agree with my either - in this later case it seemed to induce my ulcerative colitis.

Sporty

I'm not sure I can remember. I think it gave me loads of bowel movements and made me feel generally ill. I've recently found that lactobaccilus supplement does not agree with my either - in this later case it seemed to induce my ulcerative colitis.

My guts seem ok but I do feel bloody Ill!

Timaca

You could possibly have a histamine intolerance (I do). Anything fermented is high in histamine, and if your body can't break it down you can feel substantially worse. I have a blog about my food intolerance journey.....read here. Maybe start with the blog post about "I don't like having food intolerances."

Good luck,
Best,

TigerLilea

Hi guys

I've been feeling worse this last week. I'm feeling tired and achy with a general feeling of malaise again. I guess I feel a bit nauseous too. Horrible! Initially I thought it was my Armour thyroid medication as I've been experiencing horrible migraine type headaches again since reintroducing Armour.

However, I've reintroduced kefir again in to my regime in the last month. Could my symptoms this week be due to kefir? I'd never considered it could be kefir as its meant to be so healthy!

My diets the same and supplement regime is the same. I can't think what else it can be! Help?

Any thoughts will be gratefully received....

Simon

Maybe you are just sick right now with something like a virus or bug that is going around? Everyone gets sick once in a while, even those of us with ME/CFS. I think sometimes we forget this and always want to blame it on a supplement or our diet.

Sporty

Maybe you are just sick right now with something like a virus or bug that is going around? Everyone gets sick once in a while, even those of us with ME/CFS. I think sometimes we forget this and always want to blame it on a supplement or our diet.

Hi, yeah but it's my usual set of symptoms you see. I get it from time to time....with the same diet and lifestyle. I've got to look into this tho. I have to find out! I'll give it a few days without kefir/milk....

Sporty

You could possibly have a histamine intolerance (I do). Anything fermented is high in histamine, and if your body can't break it down you can feel substantially worse. I have a blog about my food intolerance journey.....read here. Maybe start with the blog post about "I don't like having food intolerances."

Good luck,
Best,

Hi

Thanks for your reply?

Is there any decent way of testing for this HI? I've tried this route before but it wasn't conclusive at all. I even tried Dioasin.

Cheers
Simon

Johnmac

I find that any probiotic - including kefir - can make me sluggish & gluggy-headed when I have too much of it. 'Feeling crap' sums it up fairly well.

Moderation seems to be the key, & moderate intakes cause no problems.

Timaca

Hi

Thanks for your reply?

Is there any decent way of testing for this HI? I've tried this route before but it wasn't conclusive at all. I even tried Dioasin.

Cheers
Simon

Hi Sporty~ No, there really isn't a good way to test for histamine intolerance. The best way is to get rid of high histamine foods and see how you feel. If you feel better, then you can try to challenge a food high in histamine and see how you feel. My histamine food challenge can be found here on my blog post.

I have used DAOSin too and I'm not at all sure it works for me. For sure, even when I have tried it with some foods, I still have histamine issues. What I plan on testing it with is with a food that has a more stable amount of histamine (eg lentil pasta or sunflower seed butter). Haven't gotten around to testing it yet though with those foods.

Best,