Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Feel like ME/CFS has made me age faster

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by tinacarroll27, Mar 1, 2018.

1. tinacarroll27

tinacarroll27 Senior Member

UK
    Just read this and it makes a lot of sense to me. I have always felt this illness has aged me.
    Association of chronic fatigue syndrome with premature telomere attrition
    • Mangalathu S. Rajeevan
    • Janna Murray,
    • Lisa Oakley,
    • Jin-Mann S. Lin and Elizabeth R. Unger

Published: 27 February 2018

here is link:
    https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-018-1414-x

Background
    Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), also known as myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), is a severely debilitating condition of unknown etiology. The symptoms and risk factors of ME/CFS share features of accelerated aging implicated in several diseases. Using telomere length as a marker, this study was performed to test the hypothesis that ME/CFS is associated with accelerated aging.

Methods
    Participant (n = 639) data came from the follow-up time point of the Georgia CFS surveillance study. Using the 1994 CFS Research Case Definition with questionnaire-based subscale thresholds for fatigue, function, and symptoms, participants were classified into four illness groups: CFS if all criteria were met (n = 64), CFS-X if CFS with exclusionary conditions (n = 77), ISF (insufficient symptoms/fatigue) if only some criteria were met regardless of exclusionary conditions (n = 302), and NF (non-fatigued) if no criteria and no exclusionary conditions (n = 196). Relative telomere length (T/S ratio) was measured using DNA from whole blood and real-time PCR. General linear models were used to estimate the association of illness groups or T/S ratio with demographics, biological measures and covariates with significance set at p < 0.05.

Results
    The mean T/S ratio differed significantly by illness group (p = 0.0017); the T/S ratios in CFS (0.90 ± 0.03) and ISF (0.94 ± 0.02) were each significantly lower than in NF (1.06 ± 0.04). Differences in T/S ratio by illness groups remained significant after adjustment for covariates of age, sex, body mass index, waist–hip ratio, post-exertional malaise and education attainment. Telomere length was shorter by 635, 254 and 424 base pairs in CFS, CFS-X and ISF, respectively, compared to NF. This shorter telomere length translates to roughly 10.1–20.5, 4.0–8.2 and 6.6–13.7 years of additional aging in CFS, CFS-X and ISF compared to NF respectively. Further, stratified analyses based on age and sex demonstrated that the association of ME/CFS with short telomeres is largely moderated by female subjects < 45 years old.

Conclusions
    This study found a significant association of ME/CFS with premature telomere attrition that is largely moderated by female subjects < 45 years old. Our results indicate that ME/CFS could be included in the list of conditions associated with accelerated aging. Further work is needed to evaluate the functional significance of accelerated aging in ME/CFS.

2. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

Hmmm, not intending to insult their work, but I have a feeling that if you manipulate statistical data enough, you can find some sort of correlation that will support a hypothesis. I'll wait for further research...if I don't die of old age first, of course. :)

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    We do seem to have a shortened lifespan, but even that needs better epidemiological investigation. This study may not be of the highest quality, and we need to wait for better research. OMF or NIH will probably investigate this further at some point. I certainly feel old. For decades I looked younger than my years, aside from greying hair. All of a sudden I look much older than my biological age. These things take a toll, whatever the reason.

This is a tentative study ... let us ask the question until we have answers, but its not something I am going to lose sleep over.

L'engle, Joh and pattismith like this.
  4. Dan_USAAZ

Dan_USAAZ Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
  5. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    If it has something to do with FOXO1 this is involved in aging

6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

It is most likely an artefact of poor experimental design. There are many possibilities, but top of my list is study bias.

7. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    Wishful and CFS_for_19_years like this.
  8. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Just wanted to mention that all of the authors work for the CDC. I guess this is representative of the research they will be publishing.

Dan_USAAZ, nanonug and Joh like this.
  9. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Which is a "good thing", as far as I am concerned: biology, not psychobabble.

10. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
  11. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    Why do you think it was poorly designed?

12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

The selection criteria, primarily. Done today this kind of study should use ICC or CCC criteria.

However this does not mean they are necessarily wrong, only that there is increased risk of bias.

medfeb and Cheesus like this.
  13. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

One bias is looking for something in particular, such as ageing, and finding correlations that are misleading. In the study Marco pointed to, sedentary behaviour is linked to premature ageing. If true, then yes, ME/CFS might include premature ageing, but indirectly from its effect on our activity levels. I wouldn't consider it a ME/CFS specific problem. I do try to keep my fitness level up because sedentary behaviour is bad for us for many reasons.

14. Dan_USAAZ

Dan_USAAZ Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
  15. medfeb

medfeb Senior Member

Agree. The selection criteria in this study increased prevalence 10 fold over the CDC's earlier epidemiological studies. The IOM dismissed the criteria because it included an overrepresentation of PTSD and depression. Hard to say how it applies to patients with ME.

See more popular forum discussions.