• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feel better at high altitudes, no tolerance for humidity

ebethc

I feel better at dry, high altitudes w no pollution... Unfortunately, I don't currently live in such a place, so I'm wondering what the mechanisms are for reducing all the inflammation at high altitudes. I understand why I'm sensitive to pollution; my body just can't process any toxins, regardless of other factors.. However, I would like to understand the autonomic mechanisms involved w adjusting to altitude and relative humidity.

I don't know much about how the autonomic system works, and since i rarely have vertigo, etc., I've always overlooked the autonomic & cardiovascular system aspect of CFS for myself... Maybe I'm missing something.. High humidity also causes inflammation, and I always thought it was some intolerance to more mold in the air, but I"m starting to re-think that, too...

Can anyone explain how the autonomic system lowers inflammation at high altitudes, or no humidity? Is it extra nitric oxide? one time I took extra arginine, felt amazing and super focused, then CRASHED hard.. but it was a good lesson b/c although I crashed, I felt like I learned something about the mechanisms of inflammation.. Maybe my problems are partly due to cardio problems??

Mary

Moderator Resource
@ebethc - I don't know the answers to any of your questions. I just found it quite interesting that you feel better at high altitudes, whereas I can no longer tolerate them. Before I got sick with ME/CFS, I had no problem being at a high altitude, but after CFS/ME, I developed altitude sickness at high altitudes (severe headache, felt weak and nauseous). I've read that this is linked to B12 somehow and that for certain people at least B12 can help alleviate symptoms of altitude sickness, but I didn't know this at the time. It's been a long time since I've been at a high altitude.

I had a bad reaction to arginine too - we talked about this before, and I think in my case at least it was due to the arginine lowering cortisol. It definitely affected my adrenals, I had to markedly increase my adrenal glandular supplement for several days after I stopped the arginine.

Hopefully someone else can answer your questions!

ebethc

@Mary - thanks, I had forgotten about the connection between Arginine & Cortisol, and I wonder if nitric oxide is the the underlying influencer to cortisol?? (ie.. arginine > n.o. > cortisol)

yep, I went to a wedding in durango, co and felt FANTASTIC..Loved the altitude and wish I understand the chemistry/mechanism of action... I have taken b12, with no fireworks :) however, sequence is important, so going back to something and trying it again can work..btw - I was not taking it easy at all at the wedding in durango.. partying every night and running around all day, first one out of bed in the morning... The problem is that there is no perfect place, and the issue w Durango is the winters, plus, since I've visited the fracking has created a big methane hotspot in the whole 4 corners area, including durango. Also, the EPA (of all ppl) dumped toxins in the animas river 1 or 2 summers ago..I don't know how smart it is to idealize a pristine place b/c it will toxic in no time these days.. For sure some places are better than others, though... Ideally, I would find some job for myself that would allow me to be a nomad and move w the weather, shifting pollution.. that's ultimately what I'm trying to figure out (lifestyle) in addition to the ongoing health scavenger hunt.. My recent crash has laid me flat regardless of location...

Mary

Moderator Resource
@ebethc - wow - I could never do what you did, run around all day and party at night - no matter what altitude I'm at, am limited to 3-1/2 hours of light activity a day, and that's it. This is really interesting about you and altitude. I don't have a clue, but there are so many smart people here, it seems like someone might.

I'm really sorry to hear that about the fracking and methane hotspot in the four corners area. In the late 1990's (pre-ME/CFS), my former husband and I took a 2-week road trip to the southwest, we went all over, Glen Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, 4 corners, Canyonlands, you name it - it was the best road trip and most gorgeous country I've ever seen (almost - we went to Teton National Park one year and it is breathtaking, oh and Yosemite is not bad either :) I really miss traveling).

I wonder if your recent crash has something to do with your adrenals - partying all night would definitely take a toll! Since the arginine (which lowers cortisol) wiped you out, maybe something similar is going on here?

ebethc

@Mary - that was years ago! I was much younger, but it was a good learning... It validated that I have a physical problem, because in those days there were not the same tests for biomarkers that are available now... Definitely not partying these days.. When I work, I tend to work hard, so that where I push myself.. However, I love my work, so it's energizing in some ways, and exhausting b/c it's a little too much sometimes - especially if there's a commute..

I haven't been able to travel, so I can't test it out again and see how I'd fare

Sean

I live in a seasonal tropical monsoon climate that varies between high temps and very high sustained humidity for 6-7 months, and low humidity and medium temps for the rest of the year (with some transition periods between them).

Humid time of year is always much more difficult to deal with. :ill::depressed:

I know the main problem isn't the high temps because hot but dry conditions are much easier to deal with. With high humidity you just can't shed heat fast enough, even sitting still under a fan.

Therefore, air-conditioning. :cool:

acer2000

This phenomenon is reported in people who have had exposure to mold and/or biotoxins. Read about Dr Ritchie's Shormakers work.

kangaSue

Maybe you have had an alteration in your autonomic sweat response (sudomotor dysfunction). QSART and TST are the autonomic function tests for checking that out.