• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feel awful after naps

u&iraok

Do you have orthostatic intolerance, and/or are you pushing your physical limits? In either case you might need to lie down, but if you wait too long to do it you're going to feel pretty bad for a while. Hence it might help to have preventative lie-downs (not necessarily sleeping) two or three times per day. And sitting with your feet up as often as possible might help too.

Thanks, Valentijn, yes, I have O.I. and push my limits because I am working secularly. :( On my off days I usually lie down all day, or partially recline. On my work days I usually lie down at lunchtime and take a short nap (5 mins or less) but otherwise, sit up all day.

So probably, I'm trying to catch up rest on my off days so it's hard to tell maybe why 3:00 p.m. is a bad time for me, but it really does seem as though it's that time of day. I have been trying to drink warm water around that time and it seems to help a little.

Last edited:
I try hard not to ever lay down during the day. I generally cannot fall all the way asleep and I feel horrible when I get back up. Actually, I feel horrible when I am lying there too. I believe it has something to do with being in the supine position. Maybe not getting enough oxygen/blood flow to the brain?

I feel awful when I wake up in the morning also. It takes a few hours to improve somewhat. I have been wondering about getting the blood flow/drainage checked out to my head/neck area. I also tend to desaturate when lying down, so could be connected. It is horrible to be so exhausted and know you will pay if you lie down.
Mornings have been the worse for me since I first got sick in 1992. I still wake up early usually between 5 and 6 and it takes 2-3 hours to feel somewhat better. Sometimes I just don't get better and am sick and on the couch all day. Sometimes by evening symptoms abate. On an antiviral now hoping it does something to improve my well being.
Thanks

soxfan

3 pm is usually the time I crash and burn. I usually rest at that time if able for an hour or two. I never sleep. If I don't rest I will never make it past 7 pm....

jann1033

Personally if i nap in the afternoon i sleep all afternoon and feel awful. I cant wake up. I think the awful feeling is from deep sleep rather than just the short nap most drs recommend in general. If i wake up in the night i feel ok just regretably usually can't get back to sleep period.