1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Feedback needed, still can't get my head round

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by baccarat, Apr 18, 2012.

1. baccarat

baccarat Senior Member

I've been looking at this section of the forum for some time to try and understand a bit more about the helpfulness of these genomic panels.
    I still can't understand to what extent they may help. In essence, my question marks are

1. once you know that you've got this and that mutation, what can you do about it?
    I'm already on the simple methylation protocol and I'm not sure what else I could do, if say some mutation with regard to methylation came up.

2. Do these panels also include specific mutations at the immune system level?

3. And the ever more important question, is anybody doing definitely better as a result of analysing their genetic information?

Thanks in advance.

2. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    At this point, my opinion is that metabolic panels are more useful than genomic panels, the exception being MTHFR mutations. If you are doing a methylation protocol, it would probably be useful to see what your current state is, using a test such as Doctor's Data Methylation Profile.

3. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    If you can afford it, compiling information from as many sources as possible, is helpful in my opinion. However, I agree with nanonug that metabolic panels are more useful at present.

See more popular forum discussions.