Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fed up of waking up every night at 3 am

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by Marlène, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

I don't get hypotension from NAC, and not sure if it's even possible for it to cause hypotension (it's just an amino acid).

2. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    Try asking in this forum.

3. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Thanks for telling me about your experience. It could be that my increased problem with hypotension right now has been caused by the long-running respiratory infection I have had. I laid off NAC for a few nights so far and nothing has changed with the worsened hypotension. Maybe when I am over this infection and well into recovery, my OI will go back to par.

4. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I'm surprised that you say this. Amino acids are powerful chemical compounds. I did a quick Highwire search and found lots of scientific papers describing effects from NAC, including this one which refers to it reducing blood pressure when administered along with arginine.

5. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Looking up NAC and nitric oxide and hypotension, I found a similar paper but on the effect with rats. Heart rate and blood pressure went down with NAC, due to the increase of NO, nitric oxide, was the jist I got.

But, if you don't have hypotensive problems, but are normal or hypertensive, NAC might be a safe help as well as a good one. Just my opinion.

MeSci likes this.
  6. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I am thinking of taking this myself, not due to sleep problems but for current low mood, so have tried to find some more info. There is a good page here, which is on a site that looks very rigorous, thorough and impartial.

7. Marlène

Marlène Senior Member

Edegem, Belgium
    I got a tip and it works (sometimes):

drink a glass of orangejuice + 3 grains of himalayan salt just before bedtime.

The sugar is to feed the liver and the salt the adrenals at night. That way you won't (easily) wake up from the adrenaline rush.

8. WoolPippi

WoolPippi Senior Member

Netherlands
    for this particular sleep pattern I'm going to try supplementing with Glycine and Taurine, soon.
    I fixed this sleep pattern for a bit through a course at the sleep clinic but as soon as there's stress in my life my liver has a hard time coping and I'm back to insomnia again.

So Glysine and Taurine for my liver. I heard it helps people to sleep too, especially the Glycine, so we'll see.
    There's a lot of Glycine in gelatine, which my body often craves.

See more popular forum discussions.