Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fecal transplants beats poop pills

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by adreno, Jul 31, 2016.

1. adreno

adreno PR activist

http://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...shows-that-the-microbiome-is-still-a-mystery/

PeterPositive, ahmo, Bob and 3 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Fecal Transplants: What Is Being Transferred?

aimossy and Sidereal like this.
  3. adreno

adreno PR activist

I wonder if it was because they removed the "pathogenic" bacteria from the poop pills. Perhaps our current taxonomy is wrong, and some of these carry health promoting attributes.

ahmo, ScottTriGuy and Sidereal like this.
  4. msf

msf Senior Member

Could it be because in the transplant, the bacteria are already established as a colony, whereas they are not in pill form and therefore some crucial species may not be able to establish themselves independently in the hostile environment of a C.difficile-colonised gut?

5. msf

msf Senior Member

RE: pathogenic bacteria, the question is whether they restricted themselves to only removing pathogenic bacteria that are not normally resident in the gut, such as Listeria and Salmonella (mentioned in the article), or whether they also removed potentially pathogenic bacteria that are normally resident in the gut, such as Streptococcus and Enterococcus?

6. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    It's a shame that SER-109 didn't work out. I think there are other similar products in the pipeline, so there may be some success somewhere down the line.

7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I wonder if it's the bacteriophages that are required. They could be needed as predator in the ecosystem.

8. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    I wondered the same thing. Here and here are a couple of interesting papers on the topic, of which very little is known.

9. kangaSue

kangaSue Senior Member

Brisbane, Australia
    Little is known about the majority of the anaerobic bacterial species so it could be that once they start adulterating the raw product, a lot of the anaerobic benefits are lost when trying to narrow the field down to a smaller pool of beneficial bacteria.

Another good recent paper on the subject of FMT is this one;
    http://www.jpp.krakow.pl/journal/archive/08_15/pdf/483_08_15_article.pdf

See more popular forum discussions.