1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fecal Transplant study: 58-70% response rate

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Rrrr, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
  2. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    So...anyone been playing with poo lately?
    leela, Izola and Wayne like this.
  3. Izola

Izola Senior Member

Pooh therapy sounds like a load of sh*t. Blaaakkkyyy ueck yuckeee uighcheehh.
  4. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

Perhaps Dr Lipkin's study might tell us more about why this works. If that is the case, I expect we would see a number of follow up trials and perhaps we won't have ME patients asking their friends and family to poo in a blender for them.
    leela and Izola like this.
  5. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    @Rrrr , would you mind amending the title of the thread so it isn't incorrect and misleading? (And the first line in your opening post?)

i.e. change it to:

Fecal Transplant study: 58-70% response rate

I'd appreciate it, thank you.
    Rrrr and Valentijn like this.
  6. Thomas

Thomas

Ontario
    I did a FMT in August of 2012. It didn't do anything to prevent my decline.
  7. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

UPDATE

i have been doing FMTs for over a year now and i have this to report:

- i have been using just 1 donor over the course of the last 1.5 yrs. will try to get a 2nd donor soon
    - i did not do the pre-FMT antibiotics, to kill off all my gut bacteria before the fmt, so this may have impacted this protocol's efficacy for me
    - after doing a daily fmt for 2 weeks (12 fmt's over a 14 day period), 1.5 yrs ago, i was very sick and wiped out for about 2-3 wks. but that passed and then i felt better than usual for a number of months. but i was also doing a new antiviral med, so it could have been from that that i was doing better.
    - the fmt's did/do help my gut issues, which were/are constipation. i.e. after an fmt, my constipation is gone for 1-3 months. then it comes back.
    - tho i often feel better (me/cfs wise) the day after an FMT, in the long run, the FMTs don't seem to help my me/cfs
    - the fmt seems to lose its good effects on my gut issues about 1-3 months after my last FMT was done
    - so because of that, i do an fmt about 1x/month now

in short, if you have ANY gut issues at all, including too loose or too hard stools and difficulty with daily bowel movements, i'd do FMTs -- if you can find a donor (who must be screened, as per the usual screening process of a stool test and also some blood tests). but i have not found FMTs helpful in the long run for my me/cfs. however, they are mandatory for my gut and bowel movement issues.

rrrr
    natasa778 likes this.
  8. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Thanku very much for changing the title, @Rrrr :thumbsup:
  9. SB_1108

SB_1108

10. SDSue

SDSue Florida

Florida
    This is absolutely the best laugh I've had in weeks! Thanks :) ......... still laughing
    leela and Sushi like this.
  11. how does this only have 4 pages, do people not want to get better?
  12. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

There are lots of things claimed to help people get better... when it involves eating poo, it will need some pretty solid evidence before I get excited about it.
    Valentijn likes this.
  13. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Lots of ME/CFS patients have tried fecal transplants without significant improvement. And this is an IBS study where patients have chronic fatigue, not an ME/CFS study. There also seems to be no paper published anywhere, just the abstract, which is rather bizarre.

And I seriously doubt fecal transplants are curing Lyme, Bartonella, HHV-6, enteroviruses, or other infections we often have.

Failure to jump on board with every whacky theory supported by flimsy evidence does not mean that people don't want to get better. It means we require a certain level of scientific and logical rigor which has not been met, or the treatment is not a practical option for us, or we just aren't interested in treating a small set of minor symptoms and would rather go after more causative factors.
    Thomas likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.