• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feature on ME from South-Africa with among others Davis & Tuller

Kalliope

A good feature on ME from the longest running investigative journalism programme in South-Africa, Carte Blanche.

Unfortunately it is not possible to view the video on their web-site or youtube, but it can be seen on Facebook via this link.
https://www.facebook.com/NathalieHWilliams/videos/10156004031092619/

It lasts approximately ten minutes and contains among others ME-cases, the criticism towards the PACE-trial, the #MillionsMissing - campaign, interviews with Ron Davis and David Tuller.

EDIT: Hopefully Carte Blanche themselves will soon provide the video for viewers outside South-Africa, so please don't upload the video from the facebook-link on other platforms.

Last edited:
I have downloaded the mp4 to my pc but not sure if we're allowed to 'publish' it elsewhere?
If it was me, I'd be tempted to upload to Youtube myself but put something in the description to say that you aren't the copyright owner and are willing to remove it should there be any issue. Obviously comes down to how you feel about potentially testing how upset Carte Blanche might get.

ETA: If you aren't making money from it I would like to think that there would be no issues from it, but obviously I can't guarantee it.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
If it was me, I'd be tempted to upload to Youtube myself but put something in the description to say that you aren't the copyright owner and are willing to remove it should there be any issue. Obviously comes down to how you feel about potentially testing how upset Carte Blanche might get.

ETA: If you aren't making money from it I would like to think that there would be no issues from it, but obviously I can't guarantee it.

Maybe it would stop Carte Blanche making money? I don't know. Best to approach them directly, tell them how excited we are about their coverage, and ask how we can spread it. I think they'll be pleased, and will be encouraged to do more for us.

Just got this off their website:
G4r63xjg_normal.jpg

23m DeviSankareeGovender @Devi_HQ
#ME No bio-marker which means diagnosis is not made easily...people spend years not knowing what's wrong with them #CarteBlanche

26GRgVQY_normal.jpg

16m Serena Williams No1 @MerchSouth
@carteblanchetv chronic fatigue syndrome so many missing and not waking up. Let's help with research #ME #CFS #understandsymptoms

they have a form to send them news stories https://carteblanche.dstv.com/tell-your-story/
but c an't find a general email address (I'm not on Twitter).

Serena Williams 'let's help with research'..............anyone in the US care to follow this up!

Just got this off their website:
G4r63xjg_normal.jpg

23m DeviSankareeGovender @Devi_HQ
#ME No bio-marker which means diagnosis is not made easily...people spend years not knowing what's wrong with them #CarteBlanche

26GRgVQY_normal.jpg

16m Serena Williams No1 @MerchSouth
@carteblanchetv chronic fatigue syndrome so many missing and not waking up. Let's help with research #ME #CFS #understandsymptoms

they have a form to send them news stories https://carteblanche.dstv.com/tell-your-story/
but c an't find a general email address (I'm not on Twitter).

Serena Williams 'let's help with research'..............anyone in the US care to follow this up!
Sadly it's a Serena Williams fan account, not the real deal.

I'm so glad the video is spreading far and wide! I would just like to ask that people just share the Facebook link for now, and not post it on YT. I only uploaded it to Facebook because the video on Carte Blanche's website can't be viewed outside South Africa and I had friends abroad who wanted to see it. It was just meant to be a temporary solution while Carte Blanche sorted out the issue with their website. I had no idea it would go viral!

Since I didn't ask them for permission and it is copyright infringement, I'd hate for the video to be posted all over the place because of me. I'm just waiting for the issue to be fixed and then I'll replace the link in my post that everyone is sharing. I'm just hoping they don't ask me to take it down before they sort out their video!

Kalliope

I'm so glad the video is spreading far and wide! I would just like to ask that people just share the Facebook link for now, and not post it on YT. I only uploaded it to Facebook because the video on Carte Blanche's website can't be viewed outside South Africa and I had friends abroad who wanted to see it. It was just meant to be a temporary solution while Carte Blanche sorted out the issue with their website. I had no idea it would go viral!

Since I didn't ask them for permission and it is copyright infringement, I'd hate for the video to be posted all over the place because of me. I'm just waiting for the issue to be fixed and then I'll replace the link in my post that everyone is sharing. I'm just hoping they don't ask me to take it down before they sort out their video!
Thanks for giving us a chance to see the video @natwillza - and thanks for letting us know about the process.

Let's hope Carte Blanche will give us the opportunity to view the video from their website or one of their social media platforms. We can wait - and then share widely :)

They did a great job on the story! :woot::thumbsup:

Edit: gosh, didn't realise until now that you're in the video, @natwillza Well done and thank you!

Last edited:
Second ME item I've shared on Facebook, no-one bothered looking up from their cats and food pics last time, let's see if anyone notices this time!

I know the feeling! My mother and one of my sisters are the only ones who ever like or share any of my ME stuff... until this video of course. Then again, it's pretty much only other ME people who are sharing and commenting.

Thanks for giving us a chance to see the video @natwillza - and thanks for letting us know about the process.

Let's hope Carte Blanche will give us the opportunity to view the video from their website or one of their social media platforms. We can wait - and then share widely :)

They did a great job on the story! :woot::thumbsup:

I really hope they do make it available internationally and maybe even license it to other TV stations that might want to broadcast it. At least then more non-ME people would see it. I can't believe it's already been viewed more than 12,000 times! :jaw-drop: