• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fear-of-Exercise hypothesis

Mary

Moderator Resource
I have recently become well enough to physically go to doctors, and have run into this problem. I wonder if any of you all could advise me on how to handle doctors?

My real problem is that I push myself too hard, physically and mentally. But 'too hard' IRL looks like 'fear of exercise' to healthy doctors.

How can I explain this to them? Is there any way, if I encounter someone who is not 100% closed-minded? What do you say?

I tell them I have an activity window of about 3-1/2 hours. If I stay within that window and rest the rest of the day, then the next day I can do another 3-1/2 hours of light activity. If I exceed my limit, I crash the next day and end up in bed and can't do anything the next couple of days. So instead of using the words "too hard", I tell the doctor what my limits are. Most just nod. They don't get it but they don't say it to my face.

If someone says, well can you go for a walk when you do feel well? I have to explain that if I have the energy to go for a walk, then usually I have a stack of stuff that needs doing that I have not been able to get to - grocery shopping, laundry, etc. Going for a walk for me is like spending all your money on candy! I used to love to walk BTW.

NilaJones

Thank you, @Mary!

For me it is more about injuries than fatigue, although fatigue is an issue. I guess that is an EDS thing.

Unfortunatly, RL EDS is like RL CFS, in that it is completely different from what docs are taught in medical school. If I went for a walk I would end up with torn cruciate ligaments in both knees, detatched achilles tendons, dislocated femurs, etc. And if I say that, I am obviously insane.

Last edited: