Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

FDA Warns Of Kratom Harms Including Death

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Never Give Up, Nov 14, 2017 at 6:35 PM.

1. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

When proven treatments don’t exist desperate people try the unproven. Be careful what you try.

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm584970.htm

The FDA is warning consumers not to use Mitragyna speciosa, commonly known as kratom. There are currently no FDA-approved uses of kratom. Moreover, there’s clear data on the increasing harms associated with kratom. Calls to U.S. poison control centers regarding kratom have increased 10-fold from 2010 to 2015, with hundreds of calls made each year. FDA is also aware of reports of 36 deaths associated with the use of kratom-containing products. We’ve learned a tragic lesson from the opioid crisis. We must pay early attention to the potential for new products to cause addiction & we must take strong, decisive measures to intervene.

2. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

Vermont, school in Western MA
    This is absolute bullshit. the FDA has never found one death to result from kratom alone. Saying that someone had kratom in their system along with benzodiazepines, alcohol, and benadryl, say, doesn't really implicate kratom. If they were really interested in evaluating the actual risk, they'd fund better studies.

There is no convincing and solid evidence that kratom is toxic in normal doses. (i've looked at the evidence, there's one unconvincing study showing cardiotoxicity in vivo, in weakened embryonic heart cells). The anecdotal evidence suggests that people have been using it safely in southeast asia for years.

The FDA is wrong on this. Kratom is not a perfect drug, has some mild side effects, but is highly effective at treating chronic pain and depression, among other conditions.

Don't believe the negative hype here, folks. I'm going to bed and too tired to post the research, but if anyone finds a study showing actual toxicity from kratom, feel free to tag me because I'd be incredibly surprised. Kratom is a good medicine which can have mild tolerance/dependence effects and can cause some mild, negative effects on testosterone. Besides that I don't think it has any side effects.

Kenshin and pamojja like this.
  3. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

If there haven’t been any good studies we don’t know if it effectively treats pain, depression or anything else, nor do we know the full extent of it's negative effects. The FDA is passing on information that has come to their attention to temper potentially dangerous blind faith in this poorly understood product.

4. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    I consider anything coming from the FDA about Kratom to be highly suspect. -- They reported last year that there had been about 18 deaths from Kratom, but when asked to produce information on that, they refused. Meanwhile, there are apparently thousands of deaths per year associated with methadone.

Why don't they seem to be concerned about that? More than likely there's a special interest group that wants to keep methadone profitable, and keep any low-cost competition away. That's my take anyway.

Here's a blurb from THIS ARTICLE:

Kratom advocates point out that nearly 55,000 people are believed to have died from other opioids in 2016 alone: about 20,000 from fentanyl -- legal for some medical uses -- and its analogs, about 15,000 each from other legal prescription opioids and illegal heroin, and more than 3,000 from methadone, a legal treatment that allows opioid addicts an off-ramp from cravings.​

debored13, *GG* and pamojja like this.
  5. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

There have been studies that tested some of the alkaloids in kratom and they have opioid agonism, so clearly it can treat pain. They also have more affinity for the delta opioid receptor which makes them less likely to be extremely addictive. I doubt that all of the alkaloids in kratom have been identified yet, but isn't the experience of the thousands of chronic pain patients who use it enough?

6. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

Their "information" is highly suspect. This is like saying there has been 50 deaths associated with marijuana, when the fifty deaths involved dangerous drug cocktails plus marijuana. I'm not saying kratom is perfectly benign, but for people who don't have preexisting heart conditions, I see no risk.

7. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

They are essentially doing this because they failed utterly in their attempt to get kratom banned, because it caused an uproar among the thousands of chronic pain patients that had been able to get off opioids using kratom.

8. Kenshin

Kenshin

Agreed, they've been doing this to Marijuana for almost a hundred years, now science has proven it to be benign
    (as in non toxic, it can still f$ck you up...)

Kratom indeed is not a perfect drug, I beleive its main drawback is nausia, and even stomach cramps and pain if you eat the leaf powder straight (instead of making tea and straining the powder out).

Marijuana can be very effective at alliviating nausia (many chemo patients use it for this purpose).

If the pharma companies extract the main active ingredient/s of Kratom into a pill I bet it would be very powerful pain reliever, probably with much less digestive stress.

Overall, Kratom is effective against pain and deppression and deserves more study.

debored13 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.