Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

FDA Requires New Black Box Warnings Restricting Fluoroquinolone Usage

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by zzz, Jul 27, 2016.

1. zzz

zzz Senior Member

Oregon
    The following is from http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/...tyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm513065.htm:

Hutan, Valentijn, helen1 and 3 others like this.
  2. GreyOwl

GreyOwl Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant

3. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Thanks for tagging me @GreyOwl and I missed this one although I get daily alerts from Google re: Levaquin. Am glad they are making the warnings stronger but afraid most doctors will either ignore the warnings, will not see them at all, or will never inform their patients. I think the damage I suffered is too late to correct although I want to believe differently!

Paralee and Thinktank like this.
  4. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

Its about time. These drugs can really mess u up.

Had I know the affcets of these in the past when I was younger I would have never used them.

Gingergrrl likes this.
  5. cfs6691

cfs6691

I had a quick look and I found that they are highly hepatotoxic.Were you aware of potential liver injury among the negative effects of fluoroquinolones?

Gingergrrl and Justin30 like this.
  6. cfs6691

cfs6691

I have read about the liver when I did my own research almost 20 years ago and I suspect that there are a few cases of undiagnosed liver disease/damage among those of us who have been diagnosed with CFS,I can quote from medical journals regarding the unreliability of blood tests in order to rule out liver disease,there also similarities in symptoms and epidemiology.The liver detoxifies chemicals and what happens if its capacity to do that has been compromised has not been studied and recently I discovered that the liver also plays a role in inflamation response(that also doesn't seem to have been explored)I can discuss these topics in more detail some other time if you are interested.If you have had an adverse reaction to other medications or chemicals,if you have done genetic testing and you are a slow metabolizer to medications that you have taken and developed an adverse reaction to if you have had an illness caused by viruses known to have the capacity to cause liver damage including Epstein-Barr maybe you can discuss with your doctors the possibility of doing a liver biopsy since another alternative test to blood tests has not been developed.It is an invasive procedure and I don't even know if the option is available or if there are enough factors to justify a liver biopsy,I can only provide quotes from old journals since in the past doctors paid more attention to the liver and were not as blase and know-it-alls as today.

See more popular forum discussions.