1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

FDA OKs Northera for Hypotension

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Ema, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    The FDA has approved droxidopa (Northera) for the treatment of neurogenic orthostatic hypotension, a rare disease that results in a drop in blood pressure when patients try to stand up.

The drug was passed up for approval 2 years ago when the FDA asked for more data from an additional clinical trial.

Approval stems from two clinical trials, each 2 weeks long, in which patients on droxidopa reported less dizziness, lightheadedness, feeling faint, or feeling as if they might black out than those on placebo.

The FDA noted, however, that the drug was OK'd under its accelerated approval program, which allows it to go on-market for demonstrating an effect on an "intermediate clinical measure" -- in this case, short-term relief of dizziness.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/GeneralEndocrinology/44374

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.