• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FDA/NIH PAPER in PRESS, by Mindy Kitei

SOC

For myself that would be to show that this virus is WAY more common in us then the normal population. I myself dont think its the sole reason why we get CFS/ME, Im one who thinks it may prey on something with our immune? systems which is different or needs to be coexisting with something else for CFS/ME to occur. i just cant see it as being the full answer (ive been let down too much over the years to believe the virus is the whole cause of our issues)

A virus being found in most of us will show that we a really do have something very wrong with us.

umm thou im not sure that im happy that its a retovirus which maybe cant ever be fully cured.

Now there's a girl after my own heart! Not too demanding in her requirements for celebrating. :D I'm also willing to party if paper shows that XMRV is way more common in us than in general population. I want more. I expect more. But I'll party with another paper that shows a strong correlation (as opposed to those silly 0/0 papers).

I'm still tending toward the need for multiple factors, too. Maybe XMRV infection plus something genetic, or the wrong virus. I'm not committed to this theory; it just seems reasonable based on current evidence. As evidence changes, so may my theory change. :Retro smile:

urbantravels

disjecta membra
I think our exuberance may be somewhat dampened once more of us start experiencing the joys of antiretroviral therapy, especially if it turns out we have to stay on it forever. :tongue: blech.

However, there's a lot we don't know, and it already seems that there are important differences between XMRV and HIV. XMRV may be much easier to keep in check (we hope, we hope) than HIV, which is always crazily mutating and prone to become resistant to various drugs.

But here's the thing: we don't *need* to know right away why some people get sick from XMRV and others apparently do not. We don't need to know that in order to start trying out treatments for those who are already sick and have XMRV. Pretty much *all* pathogens make some people sick and others not. This would not make XMRV unique in any way.