1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

FDA/NIH PAPER in PRESS, by Mindy Kitei

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Mindy Kitei, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Mindy Kitei

Mindy Kitei

2. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Thanks Mindy.
  3. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    OK, so presumably not today's edition - who had Tues., August 17 in the pool??

PNAS press embargoes lift on Monday, 3 PM Eastern time. So unless they're really doing some special procedure for this story, one presumes the headlines will appear on Monday and the actual paper Tuesday...? (of whatever week it turns out to be)
  4. Sunshine

Sunshine Senior Member

UK
    Thanks for this V99!

Are we guessing on waiting another week maybe or more like a month?
  5. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Do we get headlines/titles of all the papers on Monday, or just some of them?

I had Aug 31. Levi was going with Never, as I recall. I think you had Aug 17, urbantravels, didn't you? ;)
  6. Levi

Levi Senior Member

Sickofcfs

Here is the relevant quote:
    Lets wait and see what gets published . . .

7. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Wasn't me, it was Mindy herself.
  8. hensue

hensue Senior Member

Thanks Mindy,

I am ready to see this !!!!!
  9. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    Others have speculated more knowledgeably about how the paper might come out -- it appears to me that PNAS puts up new stories throughout the week in an online form, which then get rolled up into the print edition at the end of each week. So they normally appear online before they appear in print.

Since the pool never actually existed, I will happily stake my imaginary bet in the imaginary pool for the 17th.
  10. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Ok, I'm Happy!!! :victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory:
  11. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada
    What does 'in press' mean. Is it just submitted and waiting for the galley proofs (whatever TF those are). Or does it mean it's completely ready?
  12. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    and....................:D

hip hip hooray hip hip hooray hip hip hooray hip hip hooray hip hip hooray hip hip hooray!!!!
    hip hip hooray hip hip hooray hip hip hooray hip hip hooray hip hip hooray hip hip hooray!!!!

13. leaves

leaves Senior Member

heheh :) someone is excited...
  14. SOC

USA
    Okay, sounds good except for one question -- You don't mean those literal words, right? I'm expecting the paper to be a validation paper of the WPI study in Science and that it therefore confirms the XMRV/CFS connection. I don't need them to have used exactly the same methodology as WPI for this paper to be a validation paper. Are you in agreement on that?

As far as I'm concerned, if the paper comes out and doesn't also show XMRV in a majority of the ME/CFS patients tested, than it's not the paper. Even if it comes out on Aug 31, if it doesn't show XMRV in a majority of the ME/CFS patients, then I don't win bragging rights. Deal?
  15. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Julius,

Someone else asked that as well. Mindy said (under comments)

"In press" means that the FDA/NIH paper is being printed and will then appear in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Usually, the online version comes out first, but Dr. Schekman hasn't reported when that will be"
  16. SOC

USA
    Ah, this is just for bragging rights. Have another day, if you have a good guess, but I'm thinking bets need to be placed before 3pm today.
  17. Cloud

Cloud Guest

News of the study finally being in press is most certainly worthy of celebration. But, I'm reserving the real party for the actual publication. The paper will surely be published (YAAAAA), but the question remains as to what kind of modifications they have done to the original paper. These people have very publicly demonstrated repeatedly that they are not to be trusted. So, this is awesome news that we are in the homestretch finally.....I just want to know for sure that the Finnish line hasn't been moved.

Thank you Mindy for keeping us in breaking news loop
  18. V99

V99 *****

UK
    What Cloud said
  19. SOC

USA
    You bring up an interesting question, Cloud. What do people consider needs to be true about this paper for it to be worthy of celebration? Does it need to reference WPI directly? Does it need to show a correlation between XMRV and ME/CFS? Does it need to find XMRV in a specific percentage of ME/CFS patients?

What do we think is the minimum condition which allows us to celebrate? :D
  20. Levi

Levi Senior Member

Bragging rights

Sickofcfs,

Here is the part of the leaked ORTHO press release from the Zagreb conference that is relevant:
    http://www.mmdnewswire.com/xmrv-9040.html

I expect this statement, or any semblance of it, to be disappeared. Literal or not. As far as the data presented, I honestly do not know what to expect. But you may have bragging rights and I will officially eat my words if the data presented by the Lo/Alter paper meaningfully contradict the latest CDC XMRV "research" paper.

Without sounding like a killjoy, I would only note that this appears to be the second time this article has been "in press", and that the evil minions at the Centers for Demonic Control (of ME patients) would certainly relish the event of yet another last minute intervention by those at the highest levels of DHHS. Do you really want to invite a jinxing on the cosmic level here?

See more popular forum discussions.