• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FDA/NIH PAPER IN LIMBO; PATIENTS UNITE, by Mindy Kitei

boomer

There are other costs to the patient to. A person I know with cfs has a massage every week and sees an osteopath every week and also sees a physiotherapist every couple of weeks on an ongoing basis. This is not a luxury either - it's a necessity to deal with the pain and the tightened muscles. She sees a doctor almost every week over something- ear infections, yeast, headaches, sleep, depression, pain, etc. I swear we must have seen every type of doctor there is to try to figure out what is wrong. The costs to the patient are big.

i remember when I was growing up - you almost never heard of people having massages. Nowadays, they are everywhere and I wonder if the growing number of people with cfs and fibro have contributed to the demands.

Eric Johnson from I&I

Those numbers seem to make sense. They might be a little conservative. Or not. You can see that since our GDP is $13T, if 0.5% of the population were totally disabled by ME the loss is $65B per annum. But maybe a good deal fewer people than that are totally disabled.