1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

FDA approves new type of sleep drug, Belsomra

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by catly, Aug 13, 2014.

1. DeGenesis

DeGenesis Senior Member

Maybe it's the sustained release. I might try that and take it with a light meal.

NAC thins mucus which is why I figured it gives me acid reflux.

Treating serious treatment-resistant OCD is one of the strongest supplement indications (out of any supplement) in my mind (a few good studies). Very nice that it clears your mind. I think I am in a hyperglutamatergic state (there are a few threads here on that subject I think) and NAC is very good if you have too much glutamate.

Time to study the orexin system.

EDIT: Thoughts, not recommendations.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    catly likes this.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    It doesn't "clear my mind". It stops my brain from constantly buzzing. Probably due to reducing glutamate levels.

3. DeGenesis

DeGenesis Senior Member

What do you mean by buzzing? I am very interested. If I need more clarification after that and you are willing to give it I will PM you :).

4. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    It's a fairly common ME problem. Trying to sleep and your mind won't stop running at high speed despite exhaustion. And then if slightly waking up to turn over or use the bathroom, it makes it impossible to fall back asleep.

rosie26 likes this.
  5. physicsstudent13

physicsstudent13 Senior Member

US
    do you mean that NAC damages brain function and slows the brain down? it may improve respiratory control, maybe I've taken it too much for too long. in mouse studies it damages the heart and lungs but it is used in acute emergencies for paramecatol poisoning

6. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    No, I mean that NAC should be reducing glutamate levels, and the over-stimulation which might be caused by an excess of glutamate.

See more popular forum discussions.