1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

FDA approves new type of sleep drug, Belsomra

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by catly, Aug 13, 2014.

1. catly

catly Senior Member

outside of NYC
    Announced today 8/13/14. It won't be available to patients until the end of 2014, or early 2015.

FDA press announcement can be found here.

zzz and heapsreal like this.
  2. Soundthealarm21

Soundthealarm21 Senior Member

Dallas, TX
    I read about this drug about a year ago I think. I remember it because it was the first of its kind being an orexin receptor antagonist.

While most sleep aid drugs in some way effect GABA receptors this one is a completely different mechanism of action. This will be interesting to see how this turns out.

catly likes this.
  3. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Do we know anything about long term use? I need something that I can use every day that actually works.

4. catly

catly Senior Member

outside of NYC
    That's a good question, but I'm guessing they probably didn't study long term use in clinical trials..athough it seems that the drug has been in development/studies for 10 years according to Merck. It's still pending final DEA determination as to whether or not it will be classified as a Schedule IV drug under the Controlled Substances Act before it will be available to patients.

If anyone is interested and wants to learn of updates on belsomra, you can sign up at www.belsomra.com.

I'm mostly interested in it in case Ambien stops working for me--so far I've been on it well over a year and it still works...without it, I don't sleep.

5. Soundthealarm21

Dallas, TX

I also depend on drugs to sleep :sleep:

I do it in a combination to try and avoid tolerance.
    L-Theanine, GABA, Melatonin, Trazodone, Klonopin, and the knockout punch Clonidine

If I could just take one (that works better) I would be interested.

heapsreal likes this.
  6. catly

catly Senior Member

outside of NYC
    I hear you, I also take L-theanine, diphenhydramine, melatonin, mirtazapine and sometimes Klonopin.

I think mostly it's the Ambien that helps.

It would be nice to not need anything to sleep, but occassionally I forget to take my ambien and I end up in a state between wakefullness and sleep that is just horrible.

heapsreal likes this.
  7. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    @deleder2k I use Remeron (mirtazapine) for years now day after day, works well for me! It's an anti-depressant. used Trazadone before, worked for a few years also. Think Remeron is much better for me, wake up feeling better, not great, but not as sluggish as in the past, more rested :)

Tried an anti-depressant between the 2 meds, Doxepin, if I recall correctly, did not work at all for me, so some trial and error!

GG

8. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    @ggingues Looks interesting. I tried Amitriptyline as a painkiller. It took away some of my pain, made me sleep 12 hours instead of 7, made me lazy and also made me feel like I didn't give a s***. Do you experience side effects?

9. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    N-Acetyl Cysteine is the only one I need :cool: Doesn't work for everyone though :(

NK17 likes this.
  10. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    I am looking into NAC, how much do you take and when?

11. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    600mg sustained release, three times per day. The one I take about an hour before bed is the important one for letting my brain turn off.

lnester7, NK17 and Sushi like this.
  12. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Perhaps you shouldn't look at it as making you "lazy", perhaps this is rest that your body needs to get healthier?!

I don't experience any side effects that I know of. I would have to research what the side effects can be.

GG

13. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Hm... I don't know. 12 hour sleep each day + dizziness during the day. It is a common side effect from Amitriptyline, so I don't believe that my body is getting healthier. Who knows...

Valentijn likes this.
  14. Soundthealarm21

Dallas, TX

Yeah the dizziness during the day sounds like a side effect. I had the same problem with Ambien after taking it for like 5 days. I started getting really nauseous and dizzy and it would last all day and I finally figured out it was the Ambien. So you probably had the same thing going on here.

15. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Yeh, and Amitriptyline has a half life of 22.4 hours, i.e, your "on" it 24/7.

16. DeGenesis

DeGenesis Senior Member

It doesn't bother your stomach?

17. DeGenesis

DeGenesis Senior Member

I think low-dose doxepin is the best sleep-aid. Mostly out of your system by the morning according to a graph on the Silenor website.

EDIT: Personal experience.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  18. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Is belsomra going to be approved for chronic insomnia or another med that they only really approve for 14 days.

It would be interesting too no if and how long till tolerance occurs? ?

catly likes this.
  19. DeGenesis

DeGenesis Senior Member

Back during the M&M days a lot of the guys liked to cycle sleep aids to avoid tolerance. Take an antihistamine like Benadryl one night, lorazepam (GABA) another, melatonin the next, etc.

catly likes this.
  20. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Nope.

See more popular forum discussions.