1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

FDA and NIH confirm WPI XMRV findings (report of leaked presentation)

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by mingo, Jun 22, 2010.

1. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada

Thanks,

Not sure if you can go into more detail, but, what exactly did they confirm? Any quotes possible?
  2. kurt

kurt Senior Member

USA.Earth
    In print at a closed conference is NOT the same as published. That information was not intended for public announcement. Therefore this is preliminary, and until a paper or public announcement appears, announced by proper channels, this is still a rumor.

Semantics? Both were leaks. I did not say they were identical situations. Things with the CDC announcement rumor happened exactly as I explained. It was an accidental leak, picked up by Cort because I forgot to say it was confidential (which it was).
  3. Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

USA
    I'm not feeling very good today, so if this comment is redundant or just super obvious pardon me, but did anyone else notice on slide 27 (the 1st un-numbered slide towards the end of the presentation) that it lists XMRV as a prioritized EID threat as of August 2009 and also says "The only barriers to rapid development and implementation of such diagnostic testing capabilities are regulatory, not technical." Regulatory, not technical??!!
  4. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    I make you right Alex, if you look at probable prevalence in other conditions that have been linked, such as autism, and GWS etc, etc that would push up the percentages. Half a billion XMRV carriers is a very scary, but real proposition, and it may take that many carriers to get the governments to act now.

However, that kind of figure would make sense of trying to keep XMRV under wraps. The global blood supply is without question infected, and it’s also an awful lot sick mouths to feed.
  5. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    I do not think virology blog would be posting this if it wasn't important!
  6. Otis

Otis Señor Mumbler

USA
    Yes, I found that to be an interesting (??) qualifier and would love to get a clarification on that point.
  7. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    I wonder if part of the hold up on the official release of this information is connected with the need to have an accepted test for XMRV both for individuals and for the blood supply. Any ideas?
  8. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    This thread ought to be merged with the first one on the identical subject. Thanks!
  9. Doogle

Doogle Senior Member

Sorry, but I don't believe a copy of a conference presentation by Dr. Harvey Alter of the NIH could be in any way considered a rumor.
  10. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    I was wondering if this has been an AABB priority since then ("AABB Prioritized EID Threats (August 2009)") or if it had been added later. If I'm not mistaken, there was a meeting of retrovirologists (in SF?) the summer before the Science article.

The title of the slide is also quite interesting "Proposed RPM-EID Chip by TessArray"
  11. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Amazing but...

TRUE...?

""The data in the Lombardi, et al Science manuscript are extremely strong and likely true, despite the controversy", was one comment on the XMRV findings reported by Alter in Zagreb. "Although blood transmission to humans has not been proved, it is probable. The association with CFS is very strong, but causality not proved."

Even if XMRV turns out not to be the sole cause, or even causal -- or perhaps a retrovirus that takes advantage of a dysfunctional immune system -- the fact that the #@** FDA and NIH may actually be confirming this is GREAT NEWS FOR ALL CFS/ME/CFIDS (etc., etc.,) research.

I guess we'll know for certain when the paper is published.

:Retro smile:
  12. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    The last two staff writers at the New York Times who covered Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and XMRV whom I found are Denise Grady and David Tuller, but I don't know how to contact them. Their policy would probably not be to write anything before this news becomes more official, but someone here might give them a heads up.
  13. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    Yes, Doogle, he is a firsthand source on a study coming from the agency he works at and in the department that likely contributed to it. (In other words, he is not a secretary in the pediatric muscle wasting department.)

So what he said about their study confirming is not rumor. And his statement of study to be published can be true according to his knowledge at this time, although that can change, as Kurt said. A paper can be pulled any time before publication.

Tina
  14. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
  15. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada
    Damn, now I'm going to be checking in here every 30 seconds until the thing is published!!!

Just hurry up and publish the freakin' paper!
  16. V99

V99 *****

UK
    next 24 hours will be interesting
  17. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Usually science papers are published on Thursdays and Fridays. Does Science report anything on a Wednesday. ( soon to be known as CFS is real Wednesday)
  18. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    After all the years of being ill, I never thought this is how things might end up!
  19. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    Its bl**dy 1.30am here in the UK, typical the news had to hit now!!

See more popular forum discussions.