• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FDA and NIH confirm WPI XMRV findings (report of leaked presentation)

And apparently the blood task force AAB [or whatever it is called] is holding a meeting on the 26th featuring a presentation on recent findings on XMRV.
It's all looking up.
I seriously can not believe I'm excited that I might have a retrovirus. But the possibility of getting treatment outweights everything in my opinion.

A facebook status acer2000 (well that's where I found it)

CBS

Statements from slide #10 standout:

XMRV and related MLVs are in the donor supply with an early prevalence estimate of 3%‐7%.

We (FDA & NIH) have independently confirmed the Lombardi group findings.
I do not recall having heard the "7% prevalence in the donor supply" figure before.

"...independently confirmed..." speaks for itself.

I do not recall having heard the 7% prevalence in the donor supply figure before.

The higher the rate of infection amongst healthy people, the more XMRV/CFS makes sense to me. If it gets too high, it could well just be another opportunistic infection. Arround 10% would fit pretty well with my (poor) understanding of CFS. 7% would be pretty perfect.

acer2000

So did they confirm the association with *CFS* (the 67%), or did they confirm the incidence in the *general population/blood bank* (the 3-7%)? That statement is rather vague.

Perhaps I need to read the leak again, but I don't think they address this specifically. Not that it wouldn't be significant if it *only* dealt with the blood supply.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
So did they confirm the association with *CFS* (the 67%), or did they confirm the incidence in the *general population/blood bank* (the 3-7%)? That statement is rather vague.

"The association with CFS is very strong, but causality not proved."

That suggests that the rates in CFS are at least holding up.

O

ORTHO - Gert Schuitemaker

To eliminate all doubts: today ORTHO got the confirmation from dr. Harvey Alter and from dr. Judy Mikovits, both by telephone. Publication of the paper is just a matter of time.

CBS

Perhaps I need to read the leak again, but I don't think they address this specifically. Not that it wouldn't be significant if it *only* dealt with the blood supply.

The statement "We (FDA & NIH) have independently confirmed the Lombardi group findings" would suggest to me that they have tested CFS patients. The separate mention of 3-7% in the donor pool also seems to support reading the statement about confirming Lombardi as referring to CFS (rather than just being redundant). Dr. Alter would be the only who knows for sure.

V99

Thanks Ortho. We are stunned, shocked, and need this to be taken seriously, we want our lives back.

alex3619

Hi bullybeef,

This confirms my suspicions, but don't be surprised if it goes to 10% - that would fit with the Dubbo study. However, it is also possible that prevalence varies by geography, so in some aread it could be 4% for example, and in others 12%. We will know in time.

I have been working on an approximate world prevalence of nearly half a billion since October last year. I am both happy and sad that it looks like I was right. Now we have information that can shake the world, although it will be better once the results are official. Dont be surprsed if the NIH and FDA make a formal announcement in a few days.

Bye
Alex

7% equals 462 million global XMRV carriers!!!!!

Impish

I have to run off so I can't do it, but someone should insure that the writer for the NY Times who published the stories about CFS is informed!!!!!