1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

FDA and NIH confirm WPI XMRV findings (report of leaked presentation)

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by mingo, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Elliot

Elliot

Leicestershire, England.
    And apparently the blood task force AAB [or whatever it is called] is holding a meeting on the 26th featuring a presentation on recent findings on XMRV.
    It's all looking up.
    I seriously can not believe I'm excited that I might have a retrovirus. But the possibility of getting treatment outweights everything in my opinion.

A facebook status acer2000 (well that's where I found it)
  2. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    Statements from slide #10 standout:

I do not recall having heard the "7% prevalence in the donor supply" figure before.

"...independently confirmed..." speaks for itself.
  3. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    The prevalence figures I understood were 6% total general population, so they weren't far off.
  4. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada
    What study did the 6% come form?

I don't remember it.

It might be that the FDA/NIH found 7% in their research
  5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

The higher the rate of infection amongst healthy people, the more XMRV/CFS makes sense to me. If it gets too high, it could well just be another opportunistic infection. Arround 10% would fit pretty well with my (poor) understanding of CFS. 7% would be pretty perfect.
  6. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    The 6% was mentioned on here a month or so back in an email a member posted. It also was 6.6% in the recent German study once you added the total tested.
  7. julius

Canada
    ok, so that could be where he's getting the 7% figure...just rounding up.
  8. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

So did they confirm the association with *CFS* (the 67%), or did they confirm the incidence in the *general population/blood bank* (the 3-7%)? That statement is rather vague.

Perhaps I need to read the leak again, but I don't think they address this specifically. Not that it wouldn't be significant if it *only* dealt with the blood supply.
  9. cfs since 1998

cfs since 1998 *****

"XMRV and related MLVs are in the donor supply "

What do they mean by, "releated MLVs"? :worried:
  10. julius

Canada
    "The association with CFS is very strong, but causality not proved."

That suggests that the rates in CFS are at least holding up.
  11. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    7% equals 462 million global XMRV carriers!!!!!
  12. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

England
    thats quite a large potental market - maybe something mgt actually happen then - assumign this rumour pans out
  13. To eliminate all doubts: today ORTHO got the confirmation from dr. Harvey Alter and from dr. Judy Mikovits, both by telephone. Publication of the paper is just a matter of time.
  14. V99

V99 *****

UK
    I think that is twice as many diabetes suffers. Thats awful
  15. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    The statement "We (FDA & NIH) have independently confirmed the Lombardi group findings" would suggest to me that they have tested CFS patients. The separate mention of 3-7% in the donor pool also seems to support reading the statement about confirming Lombardi as referring to CFS (rather than just being redundant). Dr. Alter would be the only who knows for sure.
  16. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Thanks Ortho. We are stunned, shocked, and need this to be taken seriously, we want our lives back.
  17. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
  18. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi bullybeef,

This confirms my suspicions, but don't be surprised if it goes to 10% - that would fit with the Dubbo study. However, it is also possible that prevalence varies by geography, so in some aread it could be 4% for example, and in others 12%. We will know in time.

I have been working on an approximate world prevalence of nearly half a billion since October last year. I am both happy and sad that it looks like I was right. Now we have information that can shake the world, although it will be better once the results are official. Dont be surprsed if the NIH and FDA make a formal announcement in a few days.

Bye
    Alex

19. V99

V99 *****

UK
    I think they need to make an announcement tomorrow.
  20. Impish

Impish Senior Member

Victoria, BC
    I have to run off so I can't do it, but someone should insure that the writer for the NY Times who published the stories about CFS is informed!!!!!

See more popular forum discussions.