• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FDA and NIH confirm WPI XMRV findings (report of leaked presentation)

Sing

Hey Megan
The reason for the negative studies has been found. Per a recent video, ehem, it's fairly common for researchers to look at sequences in the Envelope gene of the virus. However, it turns out that XMRV has a high level of mutagenisis in the this portion of the virus. If researchers look at the GAG sequences and use the correct primer pair and culture the virus or use an additional method to plain PCR they will find XMRV every time. This is now known.

So even though we haven't seen the science "PUBLISHED" it is out there. There are currently 12 studies linking XMRV and CFS that are being held. Not just the ones outlined in the WSJ article. But the science is still being done by Major names in retroviral research. There is a lot of forward motion behind the scenes.

This delay is an effort for people in the (D)HHS to try to get a handle on the logistics of this new retroviral problem to the public.

Thanks, George! (post #719) I trust you to sink your teeth into all this, to hang on and shake until we get our answers. I am also appreciating Jessrose21's move (post #740) to contact Wanda Jones to see if she can help...

JT1024

I don't know for a fact but based on recent information, I believe the CDC study which was done early on looked at the ENV capsid area of the XMRV virus. Turns out that's not good cause that's where all the mutagenesis takes place in our lovely virus. Also, I think it might be a PCR only paper and Dr.s who know, know that PCR only won't net you XMRV. Can't wait to see if the CDC releases it. I've needed something to sink my teeth into. (grins)

George,

I just love when you sink your teeth into something really good! My dog just loves to shake it till it's dead...even if it's only a stuffed toy! So shake 'em good George. If you need any help, my and my buddy Chauncey will jump at the chance!

Sing

JT1024, are you and I reading each other's minds? Look at that--we wrote almost identical posts! Well, being on the same wavelength tells me that there IS a wavelength for our train of thought here, and that is powerful!

Sing

JT1024

I think more than a few of us are going to shake this thing until it is resolved. I know I'm not letting go!

Good luck to anyone trying to get it out of my teeth!!!!!!!

jeffrez

Me neither! I'm so ticked off I could spit. I'm writing my senator and congressman (oh, wait we don't have one because he resigned in disgrace!) tomorrow. This sounds like a good story for Bill O'Reilly or Greta Van Susteran.

I don't think anyone really listens to those blowhards. Having them cover anything to do with this is probably the best way to have it ridiculed, dismissed, or otherwise not taken seriously by most thinking people. :tongue: