1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fatty Acids for intestinal repair?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Cort, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Are polyunsaturated fatty acids helpful for intestinal repair? This paper suggests they are very good for the intestines. Are they part of Dr. De MEirleir's plan?

: Dig Dis Sci. 2007 Jun;52(6):1485-96. Epub 2007 Mar 28. Links
    Contribution of polyunsaturated fatty acids to intestinal repair in protein-energy malnutrition.

Note the focus on Omega 3's rather than Omega 6's. Increased antioxidant activity was prominent.

2. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    What is the significance you are seeing here?
  3. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Omega 3's are generally thought of as better - with omega 6's actually adding to the problem.

I hadn't thought of fatty acids as repair tools for gut permeability but I guess they are.
  4. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Okay, that is what I was thinking too.

Apparently most of us get too many omega 6's and not enough omega 3's which upsets the balance our bodies need for health.

As to the gut repair, the more I read about fatty acids, the more I am amazed at their versatility. Seems like they are an important part of just about everything.

I guess it would make sense then that if we have a deficiency in omega 3's, and an excess of omega 6's, that alot of our physiology gets thrown out of whack.
  5. R**

R** Senior Member

Body Bio (Patricia Kane) says 4:1 ratio omega 6 to omega 3. Brian Peskin similar. Cell wall ratios I think can differ in different parts of body. Kane picked the 4:1 ratio for the Body Bio Oils.

Supposedly those of us with CBS and or NOS upregulation.. I get confused.. cannot process the lipids which leaves them around for bacteria to play with (yasko).. That one bothers me as I was sold on the idea of the more fats/lipids the better in ratio. I do wodner if the body can pick and choose what it needs and discard the rest or if the ratio of 6/3 is that important as Kane and Peskin seem to claim.

The GAPS diet is big on fats like ghee (has butyrate in it naturally), coconut oil, fats from meat to heal the gut.

Its raw Omega 6 we need. We get to much refined omega 6.
  6. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    I know that the pain I used to get way deep in the pit of my stomach doesn't happen when I get alot of good fats and oils and it is liable to come back if I don't.

See more popular forum discussions.