Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fatigue supplements are actually misbranded drugs: FDA

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Ember, May 4, 2012.

1. Ember

Ember Senior Member

May 4, 2012

2. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    Co-Q 10 and carnitine supplements are prescribable supplements in the uk.

Fish oils, if the correct type, have been proven scientifically to treat mild depression and to stave off Alzheimer's and other degenerative brain disorders.

Having said that, I'm not remotely convinced by Teitelbaum.

This really IS a big problem - one where only big (p)Harmaceutical companies and lawyers will win.

3. EnduringAngel

EnduringAngel

"Hampshire, UK"
    Is carnitine prescribe-able on the NHS? how?

4. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    For (recognised) mitochondrial disorders. ME isn't considered to be one though.
    I've a friend with FMS who has to take drugs which actually reduce carnitine levels, he's an awful lot better when he takes it, but his gp scoffed at the idea of prescribing it to him.
    Statins reduce Co-Q-10, another prescribable supplement for folk with mitochondrial disorders, again, not prescribed to folk who do need to take it because of the statins.

5. EnduringAngel

EnduringAngel

"Hampshire, UK"
    I have FMS too. Which drugs are he on that reduce it? Hope you don't mind me asking.
    I don't take statins, but used to have co q 10 on the nhs. I stopped taking it though as it was a less powerful form.

6. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    He's on an unusual antidepressant which does it. I'm sorry, I don't know which one it is.

See more popular forum discussions.