Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fatigue and inflammation: A psychoneuroimmunological approach to chronic fatigue

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

via Dr. Marc-Alexander Fluks

Skippa, Valentijn, barbc56 and 3 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This could contain data from the MRC-funded study by Carmine Pariante.

3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Interferon alpha-induced persistent fatigue may be a better model of ME/CFS than the forced swim murine model of ME/CFS, which I have seen several studies use. In the forced swim model, they force mice to swim for a long time until they are totally exhausted, and then equate that exhaustion to ME/CFS. But I should think normal physical exhaustion in healthy animals or humans has little to do with the pathophysiology of ME/CFS.

So this interferon model may be an improvement on the forced swim model.

Hugo, Skippa, Woolie and 3 others like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks. I had a very quick skim (it's 445 pages) and thought that there could be some interesting info in there, but there was a lot of annoying credulous citing of poor quality psychosocial research, and I kept getting the impression that the author wanted results to fit his narrative. There seemed to be lots of faith that questionnaires were measuring what they were supposed to, rather than being biased by other differences between participants.

eg of review of psychosocial stuff:

Couple of paragraphs on results I pulled out:

@Dx Revision Watch might be interested in this, as she seems familiar with him:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Skippa, Valentijn, barbc56 and 5 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.