• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Father of GET?

A.B.

Looks like Wessely and White have taken elements from Max Banfield's approach (I did not see a precise description on this page but I'll assume it's similar as claimed), as well as Graduated Exposure Therapy (the latter for treating phobias).

chipmunk1

who cares? These "therapies" are just common sense and won't work well for most anway.

Banfield seems to be more intelligent than Wessley as he does not believe the root cause is psychological. I suspect the latter just views the illness as an anxiety disorder because almost anything that shows unexpected or seemingly dramatic reactions to minor stressors in absence of a known medical case is an anxiety disorder in medicine. No research or proof needed.

They aren't very creative when it comes to this.

So what is the standard treatment for anxiety?

Exposure therapy. Since exercise causes (phobic -( because dramatic and medically unexplained))reactions, patients must have an exercise phobia. Logical.

When Wessely got started the most popular treatment for anxiety was graduated exposure therapy.

Last edited:

ahmo

@chipmunk1 I don't know if your sig quotes are new, or I've just never read them.

Patients are nothing but riff-raff....Man creates his own illnesses for a definite purpose, using the outer world merely as an instrument...or anything else that will help him pile up his woes
oh_jeez-1018.gif

Psychosomatics: Destroying lives and advancing careers since 1890.