• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fasting boosts stem cells' regenerative capacity

Richard7

Interesting. And as usual they are looking for a drug to mimic the fasting biochemistry.

There are of course all the usual concerns too:

It is a mouse study. It might still work for people but mice are quite different to people.

I cannot remember where at the moment, but I know that in listening to podcasts on intermittent fasting I have often heard that mice loose a substantial proportion of their body weight on a 24 hr fast. That it is much more severe for them than it is for us.

So if it does work I suspect that we would need a longer fast.

And if it works for "people" it may not work for pwme/cfs

These reads like criticism (sorry) but it is kind of how I read all studies now - we are so verry different to "people" (and mice).

antares4141

No, I take pretty much all the studies I read with a grain of salt. This one I would like to believe cause it's something I could do to gain some control over my situation (through calorie restriction). So maybe I am a little bit more credulous than most.

Richard7

And I like intermittent fasting. I mostly just do two meals a day anywhere from 4 -8 hrs apart at the moment, but did some 40hr fasts in 2016.

But I do not know if the benefit is from lipid metabolism, ketosis or PoTS - I often have to go to bed after eating.

blueberry

I'd go steady with fasting and keep a really honest eye on your reaction to it. I started doing intermittent fasting and 5:2 in November last year, the initial results were amazing, the day after a reduced calorie day I felt better than usual and I really thought I had hit on something. It was also helping me reduce some of the extra weight I'd put on with ME. The benefits were short-lived but I pushed on with it, even though I wasn't noticing the initial improvement in symptoms and energy levels. I kept going because I was so hung up on what the bathroom scales were saying! If I'd been honest with myself, I would have admitted that by December I was no longer getting the improvements in symptoms and energy and that my overall ME picture was deteriorating. I had a massive flare/crash a few weeks ago, where I was bedbound again for the first time in months. I don't believe this was caused solely by the fasting, I'd also had some unexpected demands on my mental and physical energy, but when I took some time to take stock and reflect on the last few months I realised that the fasting had probably not been helping. This is just one person's experience, though. I believe fasting is a great tool on many levels when a person is healthy, but it didn't fit with having ME in my case.

Wonkmonk

I am wondering if the many positive effects of fasting or time-restricted feeding have to do with calorie-restriction or with the GI being empty.

If it's the former, eating just greens for a day might be a better option than fasting because greens contain electrolytes, micronutrients, vitamins and fiber.

But maybe it's not only about calories and the stomach has to be entirely empty for a prolonged timein order to give it a bit of time to rest.

Pink

I get horribly sick with fasting, although some days I'm so weak I barely eat. But it's not for everyone, for me it's just too dangerous.

antares4141

Actually my type of fasting would be calorie restriction. Eat lot's vegetables, and fruits, no processed sugars, 2 meals a day 5 hours apart, no food 6 hours before bed. Optimally. Many times fall off the wagon. Maintain a bmi between 23 and 24. How much it helps with cfs I don't know but overall it's recognized to help in all kinds of other ways. And I don't eat gluten. GI was in horrible shape 7 years ago before I did that.