1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Part 2: Brain Cells Making us Sick? Messed up microglia could be driving symptoms
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, might be overactive and driving the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fast heart rate while sleeping, wakes me up

Discussion in 'Autonomic, Cardiovascular, and Respiratory' started by ahimsa, May 5, 2010.

1. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    I woke up last week early AM (4AM?) and I was 141/? I was shocked.
  2. kristiljkh

kristiljkh

Draper, Utah
    Thank you so much for all the information. I have noticed it happens when Ive overdone it. But your right reading/TV/and computer get old fast:) Ill have to try not eating so late at night. If your not on sleep meds then that's might rule out the ambian as the problem. Do you ever have the opposite problem where you cant wake up almost like your heart rate gets to low? I have a Dr appointment in October and I was thinking of printing out this post for her to read. She is a great Dr. Ill let you know what she thinks.
  3. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    I just realized that I never answered your question, sorry about that.

No, I don't remember ever having this problem of very low heart rate along with trouble waking up. I'm not sure what this symptom would mean.

I hope your doctor's appointment goes well and you find some answers and an effective treatment. Good luck!
  4. triffid113

triffid113 Day of the Square Peg

Michigan
    I just want t put it out there for consideration but apparently a fast heart rate can be caused by dehydration (See one of the above threads on POTS) and did you know that most people die at night when they get most dehydrated in the wee hours of the morning? Drinking extra water seems worth a try. Please see the other thread for quotes explaining what happens. You should be aware that caffeinated and sugary drinks do not hydrate and always drink plenty of water whether you are thirsty or not (sometimes people's thirst mechanism doesn't work as they get older).
  5. triffid113

triffid113 Day of the Square Peg

Michigan
  6. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Hi triffid113,

Thanks for your concern but this is a very old thread (first post was made in May 2010). This particular problem no longer happens to me. My earlier response on this thread (see http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-while-sleeping-wakes-me-up.3816/#post-382761 ) gives an update.

Just FYI, I've been drinking about 3 liters of water daily, along with salt and potassium supplements, since about 1995. This treatment was started after a tilt table test diagnosed my NMH (Neurally Mediated Hypotension, a form of Orthostatic Intolerance).
  7. kisekishiawase

kisekishiawase sad

southeast asia
    i got this problem many times (waking up at night due to tachycardia and palpitation) since 3 years ago. eventhough i got my tachycardia and palpitation since long ago way before that but it didnt wake me up at night, i noticed sleeping really does play big effect.
    sometimes almost every couple of days after i sleep for >6hours i get bad palpitation and tachycardia and then after waking up for 1 hour it went down. which makes me afraid to come back to bed.
    even only for changing position on bed causing my heart goes up and pounding hard. :(
    lots of times when i spent days with lack of sleep, eventhough i got tachycardia but i noticed it doesnt pound hard(palpitation) then later when i pay my lack of sleep and sleep more those days later usually i got worse palpitation (heart pounds hard). before it gradually got better again if i continue to restore my sleep.
    another weird thing. there are days when i feel bad during day but when night about to came usually it got better. but sometimes there are days when i feel ok during the day but when i go to bed lying there it got worse.
    the palpitation actually worse then tachycardia sometimes because it pounds really hard even if its not that fast.
    i also noticed there are times when my heart pounding when im about to doze off. anyone ever experienced it too?
  8. Anjikun

Anjikun

Hi all,

I'm so happy to have found this thread. Last night I woke up again with what I call my "weird heart feeling", so I came on here thinking I would post a question. Turns out there is already a thread about this!

This started for me about a year ago during a major crash period (from overdoing things). I started waking up (often multiple times per night) because of super strong heart beats or skipped beats or a really light, fast unstable heart beat. On a few instances this was followed by major dizzy episodes when I almost fainted, which sent me to the ER twice. Each time when I got there I was stable by that time, so they ended up telling me it was a panic attack. After the major crash period was over this stopped happening for almost a year, but now it seems to be back (although I am not in a major crash period, although I am trying to do a bit of swimming to improve my fitness a bit as well as lift my mood, so maybe I've overdone it...)

My doctor seems to think I have CFS, but she is unwilling or unable to do anything at all to help me, so I am totally on my own in trying to figure this out. I take it that this can be an aspect of orthostatic intolerance. I'm not sure what that is, so I am going to look at the link above. Today I am going to rest as much as possible, drink lots of water, have some broth (for the salt), take a few potassium pills and hope for the best!

See more popular forum discussions.