1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
First Direct Evidence of Neuroinflammation - 'Encephalitis' - in ME/CFS
A small study with just nine patients has captured the attention of patients and researchers alike after reporting direct evidence of inflammation in the brain of ME/CFS patients. The finding was one of the highlights picked out by Professor Anthony Komaroff in his IACFS/ME...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Famvir or not?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by maryb, Apr 22, 2012.

1. satoshikasumi

satoshikasumi Senior Member

I understand your point about the cognitive issues. Dr. Kogelnik likes Famvir because it crosses the blood-brain barrier more easily than Valcyte. However, it has much weaker activity against HHV-6, CMV, EBV than Valcyte so he usually uses higher doses. Famvir has high activity against VSV (shingles virus) and herpes simplex and works at pretty low doses for them. Insurance companies will often pay for higher doses when the doctor takes the time to write them a detailed letter explaining why the higher dose is medically necessary.

There is no guarantee as to whether an insurance company will approve a certain treatment, but you can't just assume they will deny everything.

Of course, I am a US patient so I can't give any advice on whether socialized medical systems like UK NHS will pay for things.
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Theres just something to famvir. I wish they would look into it abit more, but if its an old drug they dont seem interested as they cant make money on it. Good if there was a way to improve famvir, tweek it abit?

cheers!!!
  3. niall

niall

Florida
    Hi Heapsreal, Very glad to know the Famvir is helping you at the low dose. Can you tell me if there is a doctor where you live in Australia who would be willing to write a prescription for a patient who showed evidence of reactivated herpes viruses (EBV & HHV6) ? Do you know of a good CFS/ME doctor in your country?
  4. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    Dr Gary Deed in Brisbane, he works at Mediwell Medical Centre at Cooparoo, Brisbane.
    hope this helps.

cheers!!!
  5. niall

niall

Florida
    Thank you, most sincerely, for the information. I will pass it along.
    heapsreal likes this.
  6. Dolche

Dolche Dolche

Xandoff and heapsreal like this.
  7. Dolche

Dolche Dolche

8. Dolche

Dolche Dolche

I will be trying famvir 250 mg. 2x day and night. However, I'm so sensitive. After day 2 I feel mire tired. I guess it's working??? I hope.

Dolche
  9. aquariusgirl

aquariusgirl Senior Member

sato...who is your doctor if you don't mind me asking?

anyone get kidney problems with famvir?
  10. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    Maybe stick with it abit longer, sometimes its hard to tell if increased symptoms are just the normal cfs/me ups and downs. If you feel its intolerable then back off to 250mg once a day and when u feel ok with that then try increasing it to twice a day. As mentioned above some are having better affects with high dose famvir then valcyte but thats something that one can build upto, as i have said 250mg twice a day helped me. I feel the valcyte seems to get in 'deeper' then famvir but then i havent tried doses of famvir at 500mg 3 times a day, which is an option when i finish valcyte and if viruses reactivate again??

good luck.
    vli likes this.
  11. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    Famvir is said to not have possible side effects of kidney stones like valtrex, so if prone to kidney stones then famvir is the better option. I have been on famvir for awhile and my liver and kidney function test as always been good. I also think using NAC and lipoic acid have possibly helped protect me from possible liver kidney problems from antivirals.
  12. Xandoff

Xandoff Michael

Northern Vermont
    Hi, Nice to be quoted here! I am in favor of taking Famcyclovir 500mg twice a day, it makes all the difference for me. I take it with Gabapentin (Neurontin 600mg). I must say though that I did not have any side effects with Valcyte, but we are all so different. I think Valcyte did a better job of knocking down these chronic infections and would go back to it but I am on GcMAF now and that is whole different story. I have changed my Avatar to the Aqualung motiff. Famcyclovir is a great help to me. Hope this helps.

You poor old sod, you see, it's only me.
    heapsreal likes this.
  13. aquariusgirl

aquariusgirl Senior Member

so sato were you on 2000mg of Famvir x4 a day? or is there anyone else that has tried this protocol and had success knocking down cmv, hhv6 et al? Just wondering what results kogelnik is getting with this protocol?
  14. clive powney

clive powney Senior Member

coventry
    Just ordered my famvir from magicpharma.com - cost is around £140 per month for 500mg 3x per day. I am going to try this (assuming I have no major reactions) for 6 months. From Heapsreal's experiences has suggested that I use with NAC and lipoic acid - anyone else have any other suggestions based on their experiences please?
    vli likes this.
  15. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    I see 2 different brands listed on magicpharma. I think I read somewhere someone's doctor said Cipla brand was ok? Does anyone know if Macleods is a good brand?
  16. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Clive hope you do okay on the famvir, personally I can't tolerate NAC and also check about the use of alpha lipoic acid if you have amalgam fillings (being in the UK you probably have)
  17. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    I have used both brands and they were good.
    L'engle likes this.
  18. clive powney

coventry
    maryb - what is the link to amalgam fillings? - I have loads
  19. clive powney

coventry
    just looked - think i will steer clear of ALA!!
  20. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    quote="clive powney, post: 306151, member: 419"]just looked - think i will steer clear of ALA!![/quote]

Thats what I thought clive:eek:

See more popular forum discussions.