• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Famvir and disturbed sleep

Hi guys,

I started Famvir 3 weeks ago (2x 500mg per day) and this past week I’ve started having disturbed sleep - waking up 1-3x per night and having vivid/active dreams.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I also came down with a cold and this coincides with the timing of the interrupted sleep as well.

Prior to this I had no real side effects and have noticed increased and more consistent energy, plus less cognitive symptoms.

I don’t feel bad for the interrupted sleep yet but notice I do feel kind of wired - like it’s hard to relax/calm down.

About to add Celebrex into the mix but just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Shoshana

Northern USA
Hi @JayneM

If you do not get answers to your post, here, you might want to try asking about it, in a different section, to see if the people who are or have tried Famvir, might see it.

This is a good section for it, but I do not know why no replies, yet.

Maybe up in the MembersOnly CFS/ME Discussion, section, or even Emotional Support.

That is Just an idea I had. I have no experience or info to give on this post topic, but hope you will find some input from others.

Thanks Shoshana.

Also realised that i’ve been sneezing on and off since I started it, so I’m wondering if it’s not so much of a cold but a reaction that they say you can get when first starting? Who knows?!

It’s definitely helping though and I feel like my immune system might be trying to regulate a bit.

BadBadBear

I definitely had disturbed sleep. IDK exactly when it calmed down, I'm at 6 months in. I still have some crazy dreams, but not as wild as before. I also caught a cold first thing, I had not had one in years. Now I've had two of them.

After being on Celebrex for a while, I noticed it caused me a lot of daytime sleepiness and now I can only take it at night. Everything has a reaction, it makes it really difficult to unravel!

All the best on your journey... :)

Thanks BadBadBear, I’ve been following your story and I’m impressed by the progress you’ve made. Sounds like I’m experiencing something similar to you, so I hope I have similar progress. Time will tell.

Thanks for the heads up on the Celebrex, I’ll see how I go.

BadBadBear

Oh, should add - I sleep pretty well lately. Benadryl, niacin, and melatonin are my night time poisons for as sound of sleep as I can manage. I actually am sleeping through the night with no bathroom visits, usually sleep from 9 to 7, and always have a cup of tea before bed. So the disturbed sleep definitely got a lot better.

I had high HR and overstimulation from Famvir for probably the first 4-5 months! Never thought it would pass, but it mostly has.

Good to know! Haven’t tried the Benadryl yet but have a nighttime sleep formula with melatonin in it. Used it last night and didn’t have to get up so maybe that will do the trick. Will keep the Benadryl in mind though.

Like you, noticed that overstimulation feeling and my HR has had its moments of being high. Trying to meditate each day to calm my system down a bit.

Definitely doing better on the Famvir though so will see what the next few months bring. Keep posting updates of your progress when you can as I’m finding it interesting.

BadBadBear

Re Benadryl, a half tab is enough to help, and a full tab can make me sleepy the next day. It might be worth a try for you.

For the first several months I heard my heart beating all night and it made me nuts, but that is better, too. ☺ .Famvir was tough to adjust to!

I still have some overstimulation and have been trying to adjust thyroid meds to see if that helps. I guess it could be the Famvir, or maybe my body trying to find a new normal.

You could start a progress thread, too. I couldn't find any that didn't eventually fade out, so l am trying to keep mine up. In fact I am filling my Famvir script tomorrow which means time for an update. ☺

Hopefully you will feel better and make some progress. If it doesn't happen right away, hang in there and don't get discouraged.

Thanks for that tip :)

Yes, I was thinking of doing that as your thread has helped me greatly.

Still feeling hopeful. Definitely more functional in the 3 weeks I’ve been on the Famvir than prior to it - so I think that’s a good sign. Actually this is the longest good period I’ve had in nearly 14 years. I’ve been trying to stick to pacing as well which is helping.

I look forward to reading your next update! Thanks for giving me some guidance :)