• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Famvir and Constipation

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Has anyone had this problem? I've been on a very low dose of Famvir for over a week, 125 mgs for 8 days then upped it by 62.5 yesterday. Now I am horrible constipated. But I feel better than I have in weeks!

I know it's not one of the listed side effects but nothing else is new, I'm not taking any new supplements, no new meds. The only thing that may be causing it is when my sleep has been messed up it throws my system off and it has been for a few days. But that is it.

I just want to know if anyone has had this problem and if it went away or they found a way around it.

Thanks

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I don't know either but I have crazy reactions to things so anything is possible.

Also, the timing of this coincides with the start of the Famvir. (I have IBS-C which complicates things)

I'm going to plug away and see if things straighten out because I feel better than I have in weeks if not months.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I had to stop the Famvir just to see if things get back to normal. The timing of the start of the constipation lines up with an increase in the Famvir dose. And I was only on 125 mgs to start with.

I just spoke to a pharmacist who said although it is not a major side effect, it can happen. And I am prone to every odd side effect.

I am feeling horrible without the Famvir. I'M SO PISSED OFF!

xchocoholic

Have you tried Natural Calm magnesium?
Just the magnesium one not the others they have. I can't poo without it. And I tried everything over the last 8 years.

I have to be careful not to take too much. Typical dose for me is 1/2-1 tsp at bedtime. It appears to build up so I reduce and increase the dose as needed.

No poo is no good. :)

I'm curious about the Famvir, anti viral treatments but haven't pursued it. My labs show that my numbers are high tho.

Tc .. x

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Nothing was gonna move this. I took enough senna to move an elephant and that barely did anything. I'm not going to live like that

Actually, It was more like the muscles did not work. I had the same problem with prometrium.

I did feel immediate relieve of the symptom flare with under 250 Mgs. I'd try it. You have nothing to lose.

xchocoholic

Yeh, once I get backed up only doing an enema can get me going again.

I'll look at taking a low dose antiviral. Tx.