When the 'Holiday Season' Is No Holiday at all for Those With ME/CFS
Is December getting to you? Jody Smith shares some thoughts on some of the struggles that all too often attend this time of year ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Famous (and sort of famous) ME/CFS sufferers

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by margib, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

Just saw a retrospective/interview of Robin Soderling on Tennis Channel. It mentioned mono and repeated attempts at a comeback but never fully recovering. No diagnosis other than mono was mentioned, which seemed odd.

"He retired early from professional tennis in 2015 due to health concerns."

If he has ME/CFS, it must be mild, as he apparently only seems to have issues during intense training (says he's 80 or 90%).

I see it's on Youtube.

BurnA, Theodore and panckage like this.
  2. Graham

Graham Senior Moment

Sussex, UK
    Valentijn and AndyPR like this.
  3. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

merylg, worldbackwards, BurnA and 2 others like this.
  4. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

Interesting too that, like others, including Soderling, he specifically mentions training through his initial illness.

merylg, Jenny TipsforME and Chrisb like this.
  5. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

This thread is very important as having auch celebrities come out and say it ruined my career or stiffled ot or whatever the world would take Notice.

The PACE trial and CFD have so erroneously misled the world in so that people wont openly admit they have a chronic debilitating illness with no treatment its just so messed up.

I hope once PACE and there misleading the globe gets spread to all nations these celebrities will come out of the woodwork and share the detriment of the disease on their lives.

I just am still in awe over this disease and how since now I heard Dr Hyde say it was described in the 1800's.

Some major political unjustice for way to long.
    If Naviaux is right and replication becomes apparent then I hope that these athletic celbs say yeah I could barely do what I used to publically and didnt want to admit it because of the ridicule that would have taken place.

We need a ME poster child and soon....plus a commercial that shows the most severely ill.

Starsister, Jan, Webdog and 1 other person like this.
  6. naiaraz

naiaraz

Stuart Murdoch on ME

7. erin

erin Senior Member

Tara Palmer Tomkinson died yesterday aged 45, did she have ME? They found the tumour in her pituitary gland and further tests revealed she was suffering from a rare auto-immune condition.

8. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

If they found it in a test that rules out ME :).

I did read she had a rare autoimmune disease with fatigue and joint pain.

9. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

10. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    "In the weeks leading to Weisstein’s death in 2013, her doctor insisted she did not have cancer, despite her ongoing concern of vaginal bleeding. Though eventually diagnosed and admitted to Lenox Hill hospital for cancer, the doctor there failed to find a benign tumor near her stomach—even though she could point right to it. The tumor kept her from eating and drinking, but the doctor insisted that she just wasn’t trying. Weisstein died on March 26, 2015 of ovarian cancer—a death that was certainly hastened by the medical profession’s dismissal of a woman’s pain."

Oh, the irony. And in 2015, after a lifetime of fighting for women's rights.

Orla, Starsister, Valentijn and 4 others like this.
  11. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member

Bristol
    Terrible :mad:

Mel9 and mango like this.
  12. Starsister

Starsister Senior Member

US
    And poster folks who show the other faces of ME..those of us who "look fine" to everyone but they don't see the pain, and the fatigue. I think the pics of folks bed bound is important but we also need the visibility of the invisible. And we need the words around, people have empathy for those with cancer, even when they look healthy, because people have heard the publicity and research about cancer, know people with cancer. Maybe we need ME Awareness buttons to wear, or a button saying "ask me about ME/CFS. The conversations have to start somewhere.

13. *GG*

*GG* senior member

Concord, NH

See more popular forum discussions.