Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

FALSEHOOD: HIV - nearly impossible to catch sexually

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Ian, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian

Ian Senior Member

Sleeping with an HIV partner:
    a woman has an estimated 0.1% chance of being infected
    and a man 0.05%

So, according to the statistics, for a guy even if you slept with an HIV infected woman 1000 times, you would only have a 50% chance of catching it. That would be like having unprotected sex every day for nearly 3 years straight.

I thought a little perspective might be useful, seeing as how everyone is freaking out about the new retrovirus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiv#Transmission

2. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Interesting. How come HIV has been spreading like wildfire in many African countries however?

3. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    I'm not really sure how that would add "a little perspective". Many couples are having unprotected sex for years (if they are lucky etc...)

4. Ian

Ian Senior Member

The numbers say a 1 in 10,000 chance of catching it from oral sex. And for the man that is receiving, a 1 in 20,000 chance.

5. dkesh

dkesh

Austin, TX
    Jemal: Read on to the next section. "For various reasons", the rates of infection per sexual act are much higher in low income countries.

6. Ian

Ian Senior Member

With numbers like this with HIV, it's a wonder anybody catches it. It must be the most uninfectious agent ever discovered. You probably have a greater chance of winning the lottery then catching HIV. Flu on the other hand, one person in the house gets it, before long everyone gets it. Yet back to HIV, the magic virus, you can be HIV positive and not spread it to anyone, by kissing, sexually, promixity and have it for a decade before symptoms show (officially). Truely incredible. If you can't see something wrong with this picture ..

I just wonder what dangerous drugs they will try on CFS patients, to kill the new magic virus.

7. Riley

Riley Senior Member

Louisiana
    I believe the chances of transmission through anal sex are much higher. Hence the rapid spread in the gay community in the 80's. Also, I've read that their are now strains that are much more infectious emerging in different parts of the world.

8. SOC

SOC

Thanks, CBS. I knew something wasn't right, just wish I'd done a better job of my research.

I'll gladly delete my posts. I agree that this thread is uninformed, misleading, and downright dangerous.

9. citybug

citybug Senior Member

NY

Thank you CBS for clarifying this. This is just playing with statistics, not a study of people catching it. The prevalence in the community will vary greatly (what if your community is one positive person?)

A moderator should at least change the title of this thread. No one wants to spread bad information.

10. Martlet

Martlet Senior Member

Near St Louis, MO
    Closing this topic

I am closing this topic as some of the views expressed are totally wrong, statistically, and are outright dangerous. HIV is readily transmitted sexually and any suggestion otherwise is misleading and, if believed by any readers, could lead to the loss of their health and possibly even their lives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

See more popular forum discussions.