Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

fainting question

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by por-cel19, Mar 28, 2016.

1. por-cel19

por-cel19

Hot Springs AR
    so I've been having fainting spells since September but recently its gotten worse I've had a cold for the past week and now not only do I faint when I stand I do it while sitting. It's a little odd though. I'll pass out but it'll look like I'm sleeping. My head will just drop then it'll take me a minute to wake up does anyone else have this?

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    While sitting this looks more like narcolepsy rather than hypotensive syncope. On standing its looks like orthostatic intolerance, which can be tested for and there are some treatments.

I have a tendency for an uncontrollable need for sleep sometimes, but its not narcolepsy apparently, or at least does not fit the definition of narcolepsy. I can fight it though, which makes it something other than narcolepsy.

3. por-cel19

por-cel19

Hot Springs AR
    neurologist tested me for seizures and narcolepsy all tests came back normal. I'm stumped but ill be getting referral to Vanderbilt this week.

4. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

Vanderbilt is a good place for dealing with autonomic dysfunctions.

5. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Let us know how it goes at Vanderbilt.

6. por-cel19

por-cel19

Hot Springs AR
    I will I hope I don't have to wait too long that's my biggest worry

7. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    It is possible to pass out while sitting with severe POTS esp if being still or if sitting with legs down (I have severe POTS and can not sit with legs down or I can pass out). Sounds like you are going to the right place to figure it out and in the meantime, try keeping your legs up when sitting.

Orthostatic intollerance can happen when sitting in severe cases.

Alisha12 and Valentijn like this.
  8. por-cel19

por-cel19

Hot Springs AR
    I'm definitely trying to cope its a bit hard though but today met with neurologist and I gave him the paperwork. He said there might be a problem with insurance but hopefully it will go through.

See more popular forum discussions.